positives to being the single friend

Being The 'Single Friend' Isn't As Bad As You Think

It's okay to be the single friend, because love shouldn't be something you rush to find.

199
Jake Lucareli

Have you ever found yourself hanging out in a group of friends and you realize that everyone has brought their significant other except for you? Yeah, me too. BUT, I don't say that to sound like a sourpuss! It can be hard sometimes when your best friends are happily in love and you have dates where you throw up all over their car, (that's a story for another time). I'm someone who has struggled with the fact that the people I hang out with have to make time for their significant others AWAY from me, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

My cover photo is me with my two roommates/best friends, Brandan and Alexcis. Both of them are in awesome relationships and I couldn't be happier for them. But sometimes they want to bring along their significant others when we go do stuff, or they need to have their alone time with them, which is totally okay! What's hard is to NOT feel like you are third wheeling when your best friends want to bring their partners along and you don't have anyone to bring along. What's funny is they don't do anything to make me feel like I'm third wheeling, it's me getting in my own head wondering "I wonder if I'll ever find somebody who makes me happy like them".

I'm at the ripe age of 19, I know I am SO OLD. Right now my mom is banging her head against the wall after reading that, but all jokes aside, it's weird being in college and being single while so many of my friends are going on great dates and are dating great people. I'm still trying to not talk myself down when it comes to relationships, but I've definitely found that whether I date someone or not, it's ME who is going to make ME happiest. The same goes for anyone who is in a relationship too. If you're dating someone and you're not happy unless your partner is right next to you, then they aren't the right person for you. At least that's what I've observed over the years.

So if you're ever the only single person amongst a group, invite another solo friend to join the group. OR you can also try to befriend your friends' partners. I've become pretty good friends with my roommates' partners and can I just say that it makes all the difference! They're both super nice people and I actually have stuff in common with them. What's even better is that by befriending them, I don't feel like I'm third wheeling. Instead, I'm just hanging out with a bunch of friends and some of them are dating each other.

The whole point of this article is that I am trying to say that I understand how it feels when you don't have a plus-one to bring anywhere. But the hardest lesson I've had to learn and STILL am trying to accept is that love isn't something you can just search for. It has to find you first and it should never be rushed. As much as I would love a nice guy to go out with, I'm super happy just doing my own thing! And when I feel down about being single, I just remind myself that I just haven't met whoever my perfect match is.

After all, nobody loves ME like ME! But seriously, don't be all sad that you're the "single friend", often times you're the "fun friend" too. Just keep on living your life and know that we all find that special someone at our own time, and until then you've gotta find what makes you happy and love yourself.