Actually, Southern Hospitality Is NOT Dead

Southerners from several states testify that Southern hospitality is not fake, and is part of the reason why they love it down here.

95
Huffington Post

Recently, I read an Odyssey article about how Southern hospitality was fake, just like the people who practice it, and I thought it was pretty rude. I will not be linking the article because it is not true, and the entire article was based off of an interaction with ONE person from the South. Down here in the South, we don't entertain rude and disrespectful behavior. So, I took to Facebook and asked all my friends why they love being Southern, and these are the responses I got!

"All the f-words: faith, amily, friends, and food." -- Maisie H.

"The sunshine, the rain, the gumbo, crawfish, zydeco, festivals, and good ole southern hospitality." -- Kimberly C

"Some of the reasons I love the South is the porch sitting; we have the best porches in the world. Fireflies. Every child should have the experience of chasing them, putting them in a jar, watching them glow and then releasing them all at once into the night. BIG HAIR...lol. Still see a lot of it and it's coming back in style (Paula Dean) etc. Parties, backyard cookouts (almost year round because we usually can sit on our porches and BBQ year round. Almost no winters). Lake side dances and weddings, and last but not least Humidity!! It gets so disgustingly hot and humid you do nothing but lay on the floor and beg for mercy, BUT there is an upside: great skin. Summer in the South is like living in a sauna, which means you don’t need any expensive spa treatments to clear your pores. Moist skin helps stave off wrinkles. Wipe off the thick layer of sweat, you’re met with the most lovely, glowing skin you’ll ever see in your life. And last but not least MUSIC!!!! We have great music!!! Just gotta love the South." -- Sunny H.

"Our hospitality." -- Sunny H.

"I like that we are known for our hospitality." -- Billie P.

"The sense of being connected to everyone, we're all family, even if we haven't met yet." --Rebecca B.

"Sweet tea, and I love that no matter where I go, people know I must be from deep southern Georgia due to my accent." -- Holly E.

"Great food, knowing your neighbors, fellowship and always something to do." -- Amy L.

"Because we still think manners are important!!!" -- Leslie D.

"Neighborly visits and my door is always open." - -Alicia H.

"Sweet tea and canes." -- Alanna W.

"Soul food and southern hospitality." -- Miranda P.

"Great food and the word 'y'all'" -- Victoria E.

"I love being southern because no matter what everyone is family. Moving to Colorado taught me that I took living in the south for granted. I miss it everyone grows up together you know everyone's mom, grandma, grandpa, cousins -- their family is your family." -- Olivia P.

"I've lived in a lot of places, and sometimes I'd kill to get out of the South, but in all reality, it just feels like home. The food, the hospitality, the drive through daiquiri shops, you just can't get that anywhere else." -- Cameron S.

"I love being southern because... the food. Pecan pie, need I say more? The family style of living. The South has a more traditional value on family, and I love that. This doesn't strictly apply to family, but also to welcoming hospitality and a friendlier way of living. It's very people centered. The weather. Although I dislike how we kinda skipped winter this year, I would struggle to exist in the actual freezing cold weather." -- Hannah P.

Now, would you look at that! Besides the food, Southern hospitality is the main reason people love being southern! I would have to agree to that also. I love the South because we are friendly as a whole. The food is just a bonus, and the weather is a nightmare. Growing up Southern, you learn to bite your tongue when Aunt Julie is around, not because you are being two-faced or fake but because it's the right thing to do. There is no need to go around 24/7 pointing out people's flaws, insecurities, and every thing that comes to mind. Down here we have a saying "think before you speak." We also have this saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say nothing at all." Why? Because of manners, that's why. Down here we have a sense of humor, and this helps us to be polite because sometimes the only thing to do is laugh. On an individual basis, yeah, Southerners may not be so polite and hospitable, but one interaction isn't enough evidence to group the entire South together because every Southern state has its own kind of Southern.

xoxo,

Southerners