Being Content With Your Own Life

Being Content With Your Own Life

I hate to break it to you, but we don't always get to call the shots.

18
Being Content With Your Own Life
Aspen Anderson-Facebook

Let's just get everything out in the open to start: being content with your own life all the time is hard. There is always someone out there who seems to have it all together, is prettier than you, healthier than you, more organized than you, and the list goes on. Getting jealous of others and what they have accomplished is easy to do. We are constantly comparing ourselves, our jobs, and even our own families to other people's, especially these days in the age of social media.

I'm as guilty as anyone. Recently, I have been really struggling with this as I begin my second semester of college. I look around at all of my classmates from high school and my friends from college and see these great and wonderful things they are getting involved in, or their 4.0 GPA's from first semester, or this incredible opportunity or job they have been given. I have began to compare myself to them and put myself down. I have taken a look at my own life and am unsatisfied. I have blamed myself for not being "on track." I have worried about my life and my future day after day.

Clearly, this is a huge problem. First of all, by comparing my life to everyone around me, I am overlooking all of the countless blessings God has put into my life and most likely have even missed some of His incredible works that were right in front of my face. I'm so caught up in other people's lives, that I forget how incredible my own is. Second of all, what even defines one's life as being "on track." God places obstacles, revelations, joys, and hardships in our lives all in His perfect timing. Just because you aren't exactly where your best friend is in life, doesn't mean you are off schedule! We can't plan our own lives. That sentence is so important, I'm going to say it again. We can't plan our own lives. That's a hard fact to digest, trust me. We can tell ourselves we want to be married by 25, but God's plans can totally override our own plans for our future. But the best news is, His plan is so much better.

Each and every one of us are doing great and wonderful things. They are all on totally separate scales and they will all happen at totally different times, but we all have the ability to accomplish something great. Focusing on the Lord will bring peace and satisfaction back into your life. So here's to us, my friends. May God allow our eyes to be opened to the wonderful opportunities surrounding us in life. Cheers!