How Tech Can Help Us Save Our Skin - And Our Time

Expensive beauty gadgets might initially hurt our wallets, but if there's anything to NOT skimp on in life, isn't it our skin and health?

48
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_SJBoOHpVG.jpeg

Try spending five minutes without looking at, using, or being affected by technology. It’s impossible. Technology surrounds us morning and night, from when we wake to when we fall asleep, and it continues to improve every day. Though tech and beauty have traditionally been separate industries, that’s changing. Innovative beauty companies have shown that tech can radically change what beauty products do for us and the way we see ourselves.

Whether you’ve been coveting a cutting-edge product with a price tag to match or are a little more skeptical of the latest “miracle products,” read on to find out why pricey new beauty gadgets could be worth the investment.

Skin damage is real

At this point, the link between sun exposure and skin damage is common knowledge, and cosmetic mainstay L’Oreal is trying to make understanding your sun exposure easier with its new My UV Patch. Small and pliable, the patch will sit on your skin for about five days without disrupting your normal activity. 

Though it looks and feels subtle, this tiny patch records your UV exposure all day. Take a picture of it with your smartphone, and the companion app will provide information about your personal UV exposure while taking your individual skin type into account. If you’ve been trying to be more aware of your sun exposure, this patch is an easy way to stay more accountable and limit your risk of everything from premature aging to skin cancer.

Healthy skin isn’t a guarantee

Let’s be realistic: common skin enemies like pollution, stress, and sugar are hard to avoid. What’s more, skin ages naturally every day. When you have a busy schedule, trying to address all of these issues every day is almost impossible. Simplify your routine with products like the HiMirror Plus ($269). This Wi-Fi equipped mirror provides you with a personalized skin assessment so you know exactly what’s going on with your skin on any given day. Whether aging or acne concern you, this mirror will help you figure out what to do to keep your skin healthy.

Other products, like the ZEEQ Smart Pillow ($299.99), address sleep troubles by tracking your quality of rest each night. Poor sleep has been linked to long-lasting consequences for your skin, like fine lines and dark circles, so getting a detailed view of your sleep each night is a great first step to improving it. For many, that assessment and the potential to solve sleep issues before they become chronic makes the Smart Pillow well worth the lofty price tag.

They’ll save time

Picture your vanity during your teen years. Chances are it had a wide assortment of products and shades you hoped would make you look like yourself, enhanced. Some of them may have worked the way you wanted, but many didn’t. 

Now that you’re an adult, leaving your beauty products up to chance doesn’t work. Instead, a bevy of new apps now do everything from show you how to adapt a trend—like a smokey eye—to your complexion, to help you track down a shade of makeup you’ve only seen on social media. They’ll connect you to beauty professionals and local dermatologists if needed, saving you valuable time and money by taking the guesswork out of your beauty routine. 

Since many of these apps are free, you don’t have to feel guilty about splurging for an expensive product or service you’ve already previewed on the app. Be sure your Wi-Fi is up to par at home, and you’ll be able to pick out your new evening look on your couch while binge-watching your favorite show. 

They’ll save time

Because you can

You work hard and juggle a full schedule each week. Some new products, like the much-hyped Dyson Supersonic hair dryer, exist primarily to make your life easier. If you spend extra time getting ready in the morning because your go-to products and gadgets aren’t up to date, consider how often you use them and how much an upgrade would improve your routine. 

Sure, a $400 blow-dryer does basically the same thing your old $25 blow-dryer does, but it weighs less, is quieter, and was made to be kinder to your hair. Do you need it? Maybe not. Will spending $400 now make your mornings more pleasant for years to come? The decision to treat yourself is your call—but you deserve it. 

The verdict

Smart beauty products have been slowly trickling onto the market over the last few years, but you can expect to see a lot more of them in years to come. Beauty and tech make a powerful pair, and as manufacturers begin to take notice, everyone from minimalists to beauty addicts will reap the benefits. The next time you tell yourself you shouldn’t spend the money on a new beauty gadget, think about what it will really be doing for you. That price tag may be very easy to justify once you do. 

They’ll save time

Skin damage is real

Healthy skin isn’t a guarantee

Because you can

The verdict