7 Ways to Celebrate Valentine's Day If You're Single and Loving It

There's nothing wrong with gifting yourself a box of chocolates.

18

With February just around the corner, it's inevitable that basically everyone you know is going to start talking about Valentine's Day. Maybe your sibling wants your advice on the perfect gift or your friend is contemplating making a move on their crush, but love is going to be in the air for the next few weeks whether you like it or not.

For those of us who are not in a relationship, it can be difficult to maintain our composure. There's basically no way to escape a social media feed filled with collages of bouquets and kissing emojis. Although I'm not necessarily looking for a commitment, I can't help but feel a little jealous of all the people giving and getting gifts this season.

To keep myself from spiraling, I compiled a list of activities I can participate in all by myself (or with another single friend) on this Valentine's Day. The fact that I'm not dating anyone shouldn't bar me from being able to enjoy the holiday just like everyone else.

1. Treat Yourself to a Spa Day

media2.giphy.com

Whether this means getting a facial or maybe a manicure, use this day to take care of the most important person in your life: yourself.

2. Try a New Recipe

media0.giphy.com

While all the couples are wasting money at some restaurant that has ridiculously expensive pasta, you can experiment by making a dish you've never tried before. The best part is you don't have to share with anyone else.

3. Write in a Journal

images.squarespace-cdn.com

Do a little self-reflection to remember why you need to focus on your own needs. Make a list of some things you've accomplished recently or just jot down some goals for the future to keep a positive mindset.

4. Watch a Comedy

If you're really feeling down about the holiday, laughter is always the best medicine. You can go to a comedy show or just watch a cheesy movie in the comfort of your own bed.

5. Host a Party

media.giphy.com

Although it may not seem like it, there are a ton of other people who are also looking for plans this Valentine's Day. Consider throwing a little get-together to spend some time with your friends.

6. Go on a Shopping Spree

media.giphy.com

There's never a bad time to go out and look for a new outfit to spice up your closet.

7. Read a Book

media3.giphy.com

Curling up under the covers and reading is one of the best ways to relax. Pick something new or reread one of your favorites to have some quality time to yourself.

Don't forget to celebrate the truly best holiday of the year: the day after Valentine's Day when all the candy is discounted!