The Official Baylor Bucket List

The Official Baylor Bucket List

A short list of some things that you'll want to try at least once while you're a student here.

158
The Official Baylor Bucket List

If you attend Baylor University in Waco, Texas, here is a mini bucket list that I have put together of my top 10 things to see and do while you're a student here. Waco is full of many hidden treasures, but this is just a short list of some of my favorite things about the school I love and "Wonderful Wacotown."

10. Explore Downtown Waco.

Downtown Waco has something for everyone. It is full of rich history, fun shops and boutiques, a unique movie theater (Waco Hippodrome), the Dr. Pepper Museum, delicious eats (including food trucks), beautiful sights, and so much more that you'll have to discover for yourself. It's also very close to Baylor's campus, so that's a plus.

9. Attend a Guerrilla Troupe Show.

If you like comedy at all, this is not something you want to miss out on. Guerrilla Troupe is an improv comedy group that performs at the Baylor theater about twice a semester, for two days each performance. Tickets are $3 per person that you buy at the door (this is a cheap and totally awesome date idea). Guerrilla Troupe performs skits that involve audience participation, and each show is different as well as hilarious. I have been to several shows so far and I rarely stop laughing while I'm watching a performance. I promise, you will never be bored at a Guerrilla Troupe show.

8. Kayak the Brazos next to McLane.

Baylor's marina is located across the street from the BSB in between the Highers Athletic Complex and the Baylor Tennis Center on U-Parks. The marina is open every day of the week (Sunday through Saturday) from 3pm to sundown. FYI, there is almost always a huge line of people waiting to get into the marina at three, but it usually moves pretty quickly. There is a large sand volleyball court that usually has a game going on, so don't hesitate to jump right into a game! The marina offers several different options for water activities: kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle-boarding, and sailing. Make sure you take your kayak/canoe/paddle-board/sailboat over to McLane Stadium, because McLane from the water is a vision like no other.

7. Go Tortilla-Tossing.

So there's this peculiar tradition that Baylor has: students go out onto the Waco Suspension Bridge and toss tortillas off, attempting to make them land on a cement platform in the water. Why do we do this? Well, let me tell ya: legend has it that if you are able to land a tortilla on the platform during your freshman year, you will graduate from Baylor in four years. Exciting! No matter how silly this sounds, it's worth trying. So get a group of friends together and go see what your tortilla-tossing skills say about your graduation date!

6. Go to Cameron Park and Cameron Park Zoo.

Cameron Park is an absolutely gorgeous park full of so many different things to do. From beautiful sightseeing to hiking to pick-up sports games to picnics, Cameron Park has it all. Oh, and there's a zoo! Cameron Park Zoo has a lot of cool animals to see. The zoo is a nice size and admission is not a bad price for how many different animals they have. Both Cameron Park and Cameron Park Zoo are two of my favorite attractions in Waco.

5. Grab a Coffee from Common Grounds.

You had to know I would put my favorite Waco coffee shop somewhere in here. Common Grounds is this super chill and original coffee shop located off of 8th Street across from Collins Residence Hall, where I lived my freshman year. Needless to say, I frequented this establishment so often for coffee and "studying" that my family often asked me if I actually knew where the library was (you think that's a joke, but they were concerned). Common Grounds has beverage choices for everyone — coffee drinkers and non-coffee drinkers. I don't even want to try to type all of their creative menu items down, but a couple of my favorites are the Hotel California (non-coffee) and the Almond Joy (coffee). It's a great place to study if you like an average noise-level, but I mainly hang out there to catch up with friends. There's also a delightful food truck behind CG called Milo's!

4. Study in the Armstrong Browning Library.

My family and I have a special connection to the Armstrong Browning Library. It is full of so much history. The stained glass is beautiful and the articles on display are one-of-a-kind. I love museums, and the ABL is a little museum that's free to go see, and it's a great place to study. How cool is that?

3. Go to Dr. Pepper Hour.

Dr. Pepper Hour is awesome. If you like Dr. Pepper — or even if you don't — you will love Dr. Pepper floats. I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Pepper, but I love a good free DP float! Go to the Barfield Drawing Room in the sub to pick up a Dr. Pepper float, chat with your friends, and take a selfie with our very own Baylor President, Judge Ken Starr!

2. Get Involved.

Getting involved at Baylor is so important. Attend as many info sessions for organizations you're even mildly interested in and some you're unsure about, and pick one or two to join! I wasn't involved much my freshman year, and I regret that. I played intramurals and they kept me busy, but I wasn't a part of any particular organization. This year, I joined a sorority (Zeta Tau Alpha, woohoo, ZLAM!) and there is never a dull moment in my daily schedule. On top of that, I have a support group of so many young women who love me and want to see me succeed in everything I do. Being a part of an organization has given me a purpose at Baylor. It has shown me how to take pride in the organizations I am a part of, respect them, respect other members, and, most importantly, respect myself.

1. Run the Baylor Line (As Many Times As Possible).

This is crucial. The Baylor Line is an experience unlike any other. Baylor is so unique in this tradition. Running the Baylor line means so much more than merely running across the football field before home games: it is a tradition that has been ongoing for 45 years (since 1970) and will continue far into the future (hopefully forever). This is mainly a freshman thing, but every Homecoming, the seniors that year get to run the Baylor Line one last time. Freshmen, run the Baylor Line as many times as possible. It is a tradition you do not want to miss out on.

I'm only a sophomore here, but I already know there's so much I need to do before I graduate. Baylor has so much to offer (more than just stellar academics), and Waco is an amazing city that has so much to explore. It is a privilege to attend such an awesome university, so go out and make the most of your time here at Baylor. Sic 'em!