10 Ways To Banish Your Bad Mood

10 Ways To Banish Your Bad Mood

Here are 10 ways to take your self from grumpy to giddy!

9
10 Ways To Banish Your Bad Mood
Samantha Iversen

Whether you wake up in a funk or someone does something to royally piss you off, bad moods are inevitable. As humans, none of us are happy 100 percent of the time. Feeling sadness, anger, defeat, irritation and any other down-in-the-dumpiness word you can think of is a natural part of life.

While feeling and accepting "negative" emotions is an essential part of a healthy life, there comes a point where you need to move on. You need to chose to be happy again. Accept the emotion you are feeling and understand why, but then do something to make yourself feel better. Here are 10 of my favorite ways to cheer myself up!

1. Play with kids!

Truly play. Let go, relax and join their world. Use your imagination! Be pirates searching for gold, superheroes fighting backyard crime or puppies exploring the world. Children have such sweet innocence, kindness and compassion — it's contagious. I am always in a great mood after babysitting and playing pretend with the kiddos.

2. Jam to your favorite music.

Make a playlist of your favorite songs. I always include some throwbacks — you can never go wrong with some Backstreet Boys! Blast the music in your bedroom, dance around and sing into your hairbrush to your heart's content.

3. Treat yourself!

Buy that pair of shoes you've had your eye on for weeks. Head to Caribou and get your favorite mocha. Make yourself your favorite meal. Paint your nails. Do any special, little thing that is just for you.

4. Reread your favorite book.

There's nothing quite like getting lost in an imaginary world with my favorite fictional characters that relaxes me and cheers me up. My go-to is usually "The Truth About Forever"by Sarah Dessen.

5. Watch your favorite feel-good movie.

That one Disney movie that you can recite word for word is a perfect choice!

6. Hang out with animals.

Pets have a certain magical, relaxing quality. Whether I am cuddling on the floor with my dog Minnie or watching my hedgehog Harold get stuck in toilet paper tubes, I can't help but smile and feel better. Don't have a pet at home? Go to borrow a friend's or even hang out at your local dog park. Just a few doggy kisses will make a big difference.

7. Research something you've been curious about.

Have you been meaning to figure out what the best highlighter is? Or maybe you want to know more about that story on the news last night that you just caught the tail end of. Is there something about your favorite sports team you need to brush up on? Hop on a computer and find out! Indulge your curiosity and you'll be distracted before you know it.

8. Exercise!

It has been proven time and time again that exercising releases endorphins, or feel good chemicals. Go for a bike ride or a jog. Check out that yoga class your friend has been raving about. Kick around a soccer ball in your yard. Do anything to get your heart rate up and those endorphins flowing.

9. Take a shower.

Something about the warm water, my favorite scented body wash and the face wash that makes my face tingle that just washes my foul mood right down the drain.

10. Go outside!

Take your book and read outside. Go for a walk. Sit in the sun. Do anything that gets you out and soaking up that vitamin D!

Now go out and fight those bad moods!