Why Ballet Is Essential For All Athletes

Training in ballet can give athletes an advantage over their competitors.

2626
Nicole Schneider

As a dancer, we are taught that ballet is the basic building block of dance. Without ballet training, your improvement in other dance styles is limited. However, as a person who enjoys outside sports and other physical activity, I've noticed my ballet training has provided me with an advantage over some other athletes. I may not be better at whatever the activity or sport is, but my performance is a lot stronger than it would be had I not been in ballet. Here are eight reasons that ballet is beneficial to all athletes, not just dancers.

1. It increases your cognitive ability.

Ballet classes are very fast paced. You're learning one combination, doing it, then leaving it behind for the next one, and that process repeats for over an hour. The more you're in ballet classes, the faster you can pick up any material that's thrown your way, whether it's a brand new play before a big day or a new technique to throw a strike.

2. It keeps you on your toes.

This is a giant benefit for all athletes in need of increased agility. Ballet is all about keeping weight in your toes as you move quickly from side to side. Your reaction times get sharper and faster, which can help you stay on top of your opponents' decisions mid-play.

3. It teaches discipline.

Dress code, hair code, behavior; ballet is basically a world within its own. It's this strict because that's how dancers will stay focused. We don't judge others or ourselves based on dress or hair styles and we don't play with our hair constantly during class to keep it out of the way. That saves a lot of time during class that is put towards focusing on learning combinations and performing them correctly. It's not a scary environment though; you still have time to talk with your friends during warm-up and after class, and most teachers allow you to go over material quietly with a friend.

4. It increases your coordination.

So you believe circling your leg in one direction while your arm is going another direction and finding proper head placement and making sure your toes are pointed and legs are straight is easy? Ballet is the ultimate test of coordination. On top of figuring out how to get your legs and arms to move simultaneously while doing different things, you also sometimes have to figure out how to balance on one leg while the other half is having fun dancing. While running cross country in high school, I was able to apply my coordination skills during races to keep from tripping over random tree roots or my own feet.

5. It opens up your body awareness.

Ballet gets you more in tune with your body than most people realize. You learn how to give certain muscle groups a well needed workout, and these muscles are ones that you don't realize can be worked out (don't forget to stretch!). You figure out your core, torso, and pelvic alignment; posture is heavily emphasized. Posture is extremely important for running, whether it's down a court or an entire cross country race. With correct posture and body alignment, you will be able to move a lot faster to your intended destination.

6. It can be calming.

Yes, ballet is hard, but this sport is much calmer than most. If you're constantly hitting people in football or running up and down the field and court endlessly, it's nice to just slow down and do something gentle. The piano music playing, the light and airy movements, and no need for tons of padding; put all that put together and you're doing something beautiful that doesn't involved being tackled.

7. It's a great cross-training tool.

It's becoming more and more common to see football players and other athletes in ballet classes on social media. Don't laugh at them; it's not just a "girly" activity. Ballet works your body in different ways than your particular sport will. If you play soccer and mainly focus on leg strength and agility, holding your arms in second position or in high fifth will give you the arm workout you need. It will even work the less obvious leg muscles that you didn't even know you had, and it will only benefit you.

8. It gives you a different kind of strength.

Those that say ballet is easy have a drastic change of heart as soon as they step into a class for the first time. The kind of strength you gain from ballet is unlike one you can get in most sports. You have to control your movements, whether on the ground or in the air, while also being graceful, light, and completely effortless. It takes an insane amount of strength, but don't let that deter you from trying it out. It's strength that you gain by taking class, much like the strength you need by weight lifting is gained by lifting.

Everything you learn in ballet can be applied to your other sports in some way. Hand/eye/leg coordination; picking up plays or directions from the sideline quickly; moving faster on your toes; body alignment; the list of benefits goes on and on. Next time you're offered a chance to take a ballet class, think again for laughing it off and turning it down. You could see some of your find some improvement for many of your weaknesses.