Birds Back On Track: Eagles Defeat Vikings 21-10

Eagles 1, Sam Bradford 0.

6
Michael Perez/Associated Press

After suffering two consecutive losses, the Eagles got back to winning ways on Sunday, knocking off the formerly undefeated Minnesota Vikings 21-10 in quarterback Sam Bradford's return to Philadelphia. This win puts the Eagles at 4-2, heading into a division showdown next Sunday night in Dallas against the 5-1 Cowboys. Here are some of my takeaways from Sunday's much-needed victory:

1. Schwartz's defense batters Bradford

If there's one thing Eagles fans were hoping for in the game against Minnesota, it was that the defense would be able to break through an average offensive line and put some pressure on Bradford. To their delight, it did. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz was constantly dialing up blitzes, keeping Bradford off balance and making him uncomfortable in the pocket. By the time the game had ended, the Eagles had recorded six sacks, an interception, four forced fumbles and hit Bradford 12 times. Following poor performances against the Lions and Redskins, it was nice to see the Eagles D bounce back and play up to the potential everyone knows they're capable of.

2. Hicks, McLeod put on a show

Speaking of the defense, how about the games linebacker Jordan Hicks and safety Rodney McLeod had. Hicks put on his best performance of the season, finishing with 11 total tackles (three for a loss) and one sack, flying all over the field. In the secondary, McLeod was right behind Hicks in tackles with seven, and also recorded a sack of his own and a forced fumble. On the first Vikings possession of the game, McLeod picked off Bradford in the end zone for his third interception of the season, a career-high. Throw in defensive end Brandon Graham, who had a sack, forced fumble and a team-high five QB hurries, and it was a great day all-around for the defense.

3. Big V improves

In the Eagles' loss to the Redskins, rookie offensive lineman Halapoulivaati Vaitai had a debut to forget. But in Sunday's victory, there was more to be happy about when it came to the play of Big V. It's not easy going up against one of, if not the toughest defenses in football in your second career game, but Vaitai received more help and despite being called for one penalty, was a part of an offensive line that did not allow a single sack. As right tackle Lane Johnson is in the midst of his suspension, Vaitai will continue to receive valuable experience and could be much better as the season progresses.

4. Wentz starts slow, but settles in

So maybe quarterback Carson Wentz is human after all. While the defense played great, the offense took a while to get into a rhythm. The rookie threw two interceptions on throws that probably shouldn't have been attempted, and could only complete 16 of 28 passes for 138 yards. He did throw a touchdown to receiver Dorial Green-Beckham in the third quarter and showed off his mobility on a few plays, so it was reassuring that he could shrug off the slow start and settle into a groove.In the end, Wentz found a way to get the win, and that's what matters most.

5. Special teams does it again

The Eagles' special teams crew did it again. For the second straight week, a kickoff was returned for a touchdown, this time for 98 yards by Josh Huff on what looked like the easiest return ever. Huff has established himself as the lead man on kickoff returns, and found a way to get into the end zone when it seemed like the offense wouldn't any time soon.

What's next:

A date with rookie duo Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott on Sunday Night in Jerry World. Rest up Eagles fans, it's Dallas Week.