Bachelor In Paradise Proves The Orignal Isn't Always Better

In my opinion, couples who meet in paradise are a lot happier.

134

This quarantine brought the end of some iconic Hollywood couples. Miley Cyrus and Cody Simpson, Armie Hammer and Elizabeth Chambers, Kacey Musgraves, and Ruston Kelly, and many more are among some of our favorites that called it quits. Among these breakups are Bachelor alums Colton Underwood and Cassie Randolph and Becca Kufrin and Garrett Yrigoyen. These breakups only further emphasize an article I wrote earlier; the Bachelor isn't successful and doesn't bring about "true love."

During COVID quarantine, I found myself watching The Bachelor: The Greatest Seasons- Ever. I found it easier to digest a compact version of the show, one without weeks of drawn-out drama and competition among the contestants. Although I didn't find my new favorite show, I did enjoy the interviews with previous contestants, specifically ones with married and dating couples who met while filming Bachelor in Paradise.

I believe The Bachelor fails to establish long-lasting relationships because the show keeps its contestant in a little bubble. Producers and casting agents pick the potential couples from towns scattered among the country, some people whose lives are far from anything that resembles living with a silver spoon. The dates these individuals go on are far from anything normal couples can do. Think about it, how many hot air balloon ride dates, helicopter rides, or tantric yoga dates have you been on? I know my most exciting date was bowling and dinner.

Another potential problem stems from the fact producers aren't genuinely casting to create long-lasting couples, but to put on a great show. How are casting directors supposed to find someone's soulmate? My answer- they can't. But here's the thing, Bachelor in Paradise pulls from people who are already familiar with one another through the Bachelor nation. Fans want to see some of their favorites get together.

While The Bachelor tries to frame the show as people looking for love, the cast members on Bachelor in Paradise seem to understand their purpose is to entertain the general public. Sure, they may be looking for love, but everyone seems to understand the premise of the show is a little ridiculous. But regardless of how obscene the show is, there are some all-time favorites from BIP who are still happily together, proving Bachelor in Paradise has a better track record.

So who is still in it for the long haul? If you were following this summer's The Bachelor: The Greatest Seasons-Ever, you would know Dean Unglert and Caelynn Miller-Keyes are happily enjoying van life and decided they don't need to be married to be happy. Yes, Bachelor nation, you heard that right. While the whole premise of the original show is to get engaged, these two alums are happy without this principle. Other couples still going strong: Evan Bass and Carly Waddell, who have not one, but two kids together; and Jared Haibon and Ashley Iaconetti, who married last August.

chris harrison abc GIF by Bachelor in Paradise Giphy

Regardless of if you think The Bachelor or Bachelor in Paradise reigns supreme, you can't argue- both are excellent entertainment. We are all patiently waiting for the return of this season.