Why I Am An Avocado

Why I Am An Avocado

...and proud of it.

2145
Why I Am An Avocado

At Lawrence Academy, we have student leaders called "peer counselors," who are seniors that look out for the new students. During my junior spring, I knew that I wanted to be one of these people in my community because I felt that I would be able to guide the new students after my experience at Lawrence. The interview for this position was simple, yet in my mind the simplest thing could send me through a spiraling terror of anxiety. I knew only one question that each peer counselor applicant was asked annually, and it was a strange one to say the least. The preliminary question to break the ice between interviewer and applicant was to come up with what type of fruit you would be if you were a piece. I’ve never been a picky eater, so I knew I had a lot to pick from.

At first I thought I’d say I was a banana because I eat those everyday out of routine habit. When I was a kid I despised the taste of bananas and could not wrap my head around what the texture was. I realized that there was no real reasoning for myself being a banana other than the fact that I eat them a lot, so I moved on. My mind then jumped to coconuts. The only thing I have consistently liked about myself is my hair since I can remember. My hair is the only thing I’m complemented on, and I actually believe people when they say nice things about it. I have thick red hair with blonde and brown natural highlights. Coconuts have that same auburn-ish red color that I see in my hair and it’s the one feature that sticks out on the outside. Plus the center is filled with a sweet inside that you can only get to once you figure out how to crack the shell.

I finally came across the idea that this entire time, I should have been describing myself as an avocado. Not because I would cost more at Chipotle, and not because they are hip and trendy now, but because of their structure and versatility. Avocados have the hard but flexible outer layer that I would use as a metaphor to describe my own outer shell. The shell is obviously present, and a little bumpy around the edges, but it can be easily peeled back if done properly. Inside the avocado is a soft fruit that is tasteful, but not over bearing. It can be used in multiple dishes from toast and guacamole to smoothies, and it doesn’t over power other flavors. I see myself as similar to that because of my many different interests around my high school campus. I’m an athlete, but not an all-star. I’m the editor for the paper, but I’m not a bookworm. I’m in an honors art class, but I’m not “that artsy kid”.

Next, the avocado has a firm seed in its core. I believe that deep down I also have a very centered core that reminds me of my deep family roots and my beliefs, and my inner strength. I could write an entirely different essay about hardships that I have been through but I believe that dwelling on the past is unnecessary, and my hard inner core has allowed me to persevere and move onward in my life. I like to spread myself out and try new things and I think that the avocado is the best fruit to describe myself because it is not the first one that people would think of, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.