Athletics And Its Power To Propel Positivity

The good it provides can't be overlooked.

12
Audra DeLaney

If I knew any form of social construct inside and out by the time I was 10 years old, it was the one full of coaches, players and referees. Maybe this stems from growing up with a father who coached until this year, or from my natural passion for competition and sports, or from both. The world of athletics, from cheerleading to wrestling and everything in between, is a home away from home for me. I would say the best thing athletics has given me is the realization that they have the power to unite people and propel positivity.

Now, as I write that, I must also write something else. I have personally seen the ugly side that comes with being involved in athletics. My dad has had his fair share of battles, like most coaches, and I too have had my own. I have seen coaches lose sight of what the true meaning of being a coach and a role model really is. I have seen student athletes lose sight of what it means to be part of a team. Each of them lost their loyalty, work ethnic, and honor, among other things. Finally, I have seen teammates and fellow athletes quit sports not because they weren't talented enough to be on the team, but because they don't feel appreciated and valued as a team member.

Although I have seen all of this first hand, I still hold the belief that athletics propel positivity, through a number of different avenues.

Think of the Cleveland Cavaliers winning an NBA Championship this past season. It had been over 50 years since a Cleveland team had won a title in any sport. As people began to realize that the team had a legitimate chance of winning, they began to unite. All over the state, people were pulling Cavs shirts out of their closets, or buying them at the store, to support the team. They wanted the team to succeed, and they wanted to be part of it with others who believed that the Cavs could indeed come out on top.

Think of a high school sports team you were on. Maybe your wasn't very good, or maybe your team was the best your school had seen in a long time. Either way, I know that the team you are thinking of, as well as my own teams in high school, had moments of extreme positivity. Maybe it was uniting for a cause, a coach or a teammate. Maybe it was a big win in a game you were the underdog in. Maybe it was losing a game you shouldn't have lost, facing the adversity that comes with that and growing from it. Regardless of the context of the positivity, it existed at some point. That is why I am still thankful for the teams I was on, and why I always will be.

From my own experience, my sports teams faced adversity constantly. For one of them, we were always the underdog. For the other, we were talented, but had to battle against other teams to prove our talent almost every game. For both teams, working hard and rising together was something that helped us thrive and enjoy being together. Our coaches had a lot to do with this as well. Without their guidance and individual positivity, growth would not have been as easily obtained, and that's a fact.

The members of my sports teams helped one another, and through that, propelled positivity.

Athletics is dynamic, and something that cannot be described in one word or phrase. In the end, I firmly believe that they help propel positivity, kindness and strength in a world that most definitely needs it.