I Asked Females Of All Ages About Abortion, This Is What They Said

These women stood up for what they believe in, regardless of age.

379
gardenstategynecology

Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about abortion. I have always been set in my beliefs and refused to ever hear the opinions of both sides of the argument. Nevertheless, I decided to reach out to females of all ages to hear the many different opinions of abortion.

Here are a few of the opinions I was given:

Female, 17

“Abortion is just an ‘easy’ way out of caring for a child that was conceived. I’ve seen struggles of infertility within my family and it’s heart-wrenching. Taking an unborn child from it’s mother’s womb is cruel, but people get more upset because they see a video of a calf being separated from its mother. People say abortion is ‘okay’ and that it should be the mother’s choice, but honestly does anyone put thought into the child? Well done society. You’ve failed again.”

Female, 18

”Abortion is such a heated topic that it is easy for people to misunderstand and get upset; so, I will try to make my thoughts as clear as possible. First, I would like you to know that I am a follower of Christ and I do think that life starts at conception. There is no part of me that likes abortion or wants it to become a common thing. However, I strongly believe that abortion should not be made illegal. For one thing, some women are unable to go through giving birth without endangering their life and the baby’s life. In these cases where the child may die either way, an abortion is necessary to spare the mother’s life.

Another issue with banning abortion is that it will not fully prevent them. Many women will still attempt abortions, but there will be far fewer safe places for them to get it. There will no longer be reliable clinics for them to go to. Back when abortion was illegal (1880s up to 1973), the number of women who sought abortions was not reduced, but hospital and emergency room staff treated thousands of women who either died or were suffering the effects of abortions preformed without the proper skill and care.

As a country, we cannot estrange the women who are probably going through enough as it is. We must show compassion to them and provide for them safe options. I realize that of course people take advantage of legal abortion as an easy fix to a bad decision. But we have to remember that it is not the country’s job to get you to make the right decision. It is the country’s job to ensure your safety and provide reliable options, whatever you choose.”

Female, 22

“I am 100% pro-choice. I believe it is a woman’s right to control her body. I believe that if a woman is raped, she should be able to terminate a resulting pregnancy. I think it’s cruel for her to wake up every day pregnant with her assailant’s child. If she were to terminate the pregnancy, she would be able to start the healing process sooner.

Yes, I agree with the argument of “it’s not the child’s fault,” but are you really going to tell a traumatized woman she has to wake up every day for 280 days knowing her rapist still has a hold on her, and that she still has a piece of him inside her? I also believe if someone is not in the best of health to carry a baby, or if the child itself would either not survive or have a tremendously difficult life outside of the womb, abortion should be an option. While adoption is a wonderful gift to many people who are unable to have children of their own, I don’t see it as a valid alternative in every case. Young, healthy mothers who may have made a mistake getting pregnant should definitely consider adoption if they believe it is the right decision for them.

My whole argument basically comes down to it should be a decision that a woman makes with whomever she wants (the father, her family, her doctor, etc.). I am so heavily against the government choosing what women can and cannot do with their bodies. This isn’t Republican vs Democrat or liberal vs conservative. MANY members of my family consider themselves "pro-choice conservatives” because they believe a woman should have the choice of abortion if she is unable to see the pregnancy all the way through (medically and financially).

Personally, I do not want children, ever. If I were to become pregnant today, 22, unmarried, and financially UNable to care for a child, I’d probably choose abortion. However, if I were to become pregnant ten years from now when I’m (hopefully) married and financially capable, I’d strap on my mommy boots and say "let’s go." I’m not going to abort a child just because I don’t want it. But that should be MY decision. NOT some man in DC. I do believe there should be a cut off point. Where that is, I don’t exactly know.

I think if you make it through a certain number of months, you should stick it out and strongly consider adoption. And to the argument “if you’re old/mature enough to have sex then you’re old/mature enough to have a child,” I believe if you’re mature enough to make the decision to have sex and then become pregnant, you’re mature enough to make the decision on abortion. THIS IS WHY BIRTH CONTROL IS IMPORTANT WOMEN’S HEALTH. More accessible birth control = fewer abortions.”

Female, 22

”Life is life. At the moment of conception, a “fetus” is a living being because it is made up of cells and cells are living. Based on my faith, I do not believe in abortion at all. I am completely pro-life. I am open minded to other people’s opinions and i can easily see where cases such as rape, the baby’s health, and the mother’s health poses issues. But all of that goes back to putting your faith in the Lord that He is going to handle whatever situation you are faced with.” -Female, 22

Female, 43

“Well, you definitely know how I feel about it. The only exception that I would have is if the mother is in GRAVE danger by carrying the child. And if they are going to keep it legal, which is very heartbreaking, there definitely needs to be a cut off in early, EARLY pregnancy. I don't understand how people can justify it in the 3rd trimester. I witnessed a child that was born at 27 weeks and is now a very happy thriving little girl that will be 1 year old the day after Christmas. She was tiny, but her fight, and the God we serve, is MIGHTY!!! Why make it so "affordable " and easy to kill a human being, but so expensive and trying to adopt a human being. There are people out there that are unable to have kids and would like to adopt, but the process and legal fees are so out there. And I won't even get started on those that keep having babies and DON'T take care of them.”

Although my opinion has not changed on the subject, it was interesting to hear the arguments for pro-life and pro-choice. Some of the women I spoke to had very strong opinions on the matter and I am a strong believer in standing up for what you believe in and never giving in to the pressure of changing your argument. I have so much respect for all of the women who stand up for their beliefs, regardless if they are the same as mine.

You can read the article that discusses males' perspective on abortion here.