Are You Judging Me?

Are You Judging Me?

We've taken this word and created a definition for it that's incredibly partial

580
Are You Judging Me?
DailyDot

In most of popular culture, words like "judging" or "judgement" have a negative connotation associated with them. The phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover," is typically in reference to books with bad covers. It's almost as if "judge" has become a bad word.

"Don't judge me because I'm black."

"Don't judge me because I'm gay."

"Don't judge me because I'm a ginger."

"Don't judge me."

We've taken this word and created a definition for it that's incredibly partial. In reality, "to judge" something means simply to form a conclusion about it. Not a negative conclusion. Not a positive conclusion. A conclusion. But because of the way it's been used for some time now, the association with this word is almost entirely cynical.

To prove my point, re-read the title of this article. Now, read it with an offended or defensive tone. Pretty easy, right? You probably even read it that way the first time. But now read it with an excited or flattered tone - without being sarcastic. It sounds weird, right? It doesn't seem fitting.

I've found this to be a frustrating reality lately as I've been reading the Bible - a book that uses variations of "to judge" rather frequently. As I read passages where Jesus talks about judging the world, I get angry. Why would a God that loves us so much cast so much judgement? Why would a God that cares so deeply for His people even judge them in the first place?

It doesn't make sense and it's close to infuriating... if I'm reading in the context of popular culture. With the implications we've placed upon this word, these passages will never make sense. I'll never be able to understand why God would judge His people, if I'm reading this word from the perspective of the world.

When I take a step back, though, and realize what the word actually means and why it's used in the first place, the scriptures become a beautiful story of love and compassion. My favorite experience with this has been recently as I've been reading the book of John.

In John 5:30, Jesus says, "I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me."

In my first reading of this verse, it was with a very defensive mindset. Ugh, Jesus. Why are you judging me??? That's so rude. But, knowing my God is a God of love, I stopped that thought, and I kept reading.

Jesus says He judges because of the will of the One who sent Him. In John 6:40, He says, "For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

Mind blown.

If the will of His Father (the One who sent Him) is that those believing in Christ should have eternal life, then His judgement of us if far from negative. He forms a conclusion about us that says, "Simply through your faith in Me, your sin is forgiven and you receive eternal life."

I don't know about you, but I can't spin that in a negative way. That's not a judgement I can be offended by. That's a judgement I can stand for. That's a judgement I can be about.

Judgement is not always a bad thing.

The world, society, popular culture - whatever you want to call it - is constantly giving words new meanings and different connotations. Half the time when I say "literally," I don't even know if I actually mean something literally. And I can say a room is lit when there aren't even lights on. It's just a part of what we do.

If we're willing to dig a little deeper, though, and to understand a little further, then what we find may surprise us. But we have to take the initiative to step outside of the context of our culture and dive into the context of reality. Your perspective is your choice. What will you choose to see?