How To Best Appreciate Yourself, Your Friends, & Relationships

Spread the love.

53

Just because Galentine's and Valentine's day is over, doesn't mean it's too late to show love to all the important people in your lives. Living my post-graduate life means that it's often hard to find time to see my friends who in addition to their careers, usually have extra things going on for them. Such examples of extra things include higher education, obtaining certifications, or even improving personal goals - such as fitness or wellness.

At times like this, it's important to remember to concentrate on the positives. Unlike school, or maybe even college, social interactions are seldom as frequent. However, that doesn't mean that lack of interaction equates to emotional distance in a relationship. Expressing gratitude - either through technology, or saving it for in-person interactions are an easy way to let people that they're appreciated.

That being said, it's still important for you and your friends to take the initiative to hang out. Even with both parties being busy, just scheduling simple, technology-free activities such as coffee or dinner, can be a big step. What's more important is feeling present with your peers. If possible, try to aim for a certain amount in a month.

Just like people have different ways of showing love, people also have different ways of expressing appreciation. As mentioned, the duration between interactions can be a bigger deal for some people, as opposed to others. When types of interactions or conversations get too mundane or repetitive, maybe it's time to analyze the relationship, or else directly communicate what you would like to do differently. I have certain friends I do different things with. For example, not all my friends are "concert" people, and lots of us have differing music tastes. However, I often find myself doing similar things with the same people - due to our overlapping interests. Changing this routine up not only creates fresh experiences, but you can learn more about your friends.

Don't expect that other people may see the same gaps in your relationship with them as you might. But truly, no one can read minds, and chances are the person may have had similar thoughts - or else cares enough about your relationship with you enough to make you happy.