The Most Annoying, Inconsequential Things Ever

There are so many annoying and trivial things happening in this world that those of us lucky enough to experience take them for granted when so many others would kill to have experiences of. Yes, annoying things happen, but if we all take a moment to think about how lucky we are and how nice we have it compared to so many others around the world, our problems don’t seem that bad, do they?

A list of 10 annoying daily occurrences:

1. Eraser shavings left behind on desks
  2. When people don’t text back
  3. When a good Instagram doesn’t get as many likes because of poor timing
  4. Tripping and looking around to see if anyone saw you and finding someone did
  5. Tangled headphones
  6. Eating turkey for six months after Thanksgiving to get rid of the leftovers
  7. When your carryout food gets cold by the time you bring it home
  8. When someone closes the book you’re reading and loses your spot
  9. Messing up freshly painted nails
  10. Getting gas in your car

And, just to counteract this...

A few reasons why you should feel guilty for feeling annoyed at these things and should instead appreciate what you have, even if you only have some of the following:

1. When you have food on your table (unlike so many in the world who go hungry every day)
  2. When you have access to free public education
  3. Having the ability to practice your religion (or lack thereof) freely without persecution
  4. The ability to live in a shelter or home that you feel safe in
  5. Access to the Internet and phones and the ability to talk to family far away
  6. Access to clean drinking water
  7. When you can go to the doctor and can get medicine and treatment for what you need with few repercussions
  8. Having some or all agency to choose your future occupation instead of being forced to do something (that you may not even believe in), like becoming a child soldier
  9. Free speech under protection of the law
  10. The ability and right to vote and participate in your government

Your problems are your problems, and that doesn’t make them any less important or less annoying to you, but it’s always good to put them in perspective. Happy holidays!