To The Mermaid Who Swam Her Way Into My Heart

An open letter to that special girl.

38
Jenny Davis

Hey,

There are some things I wanted to tell you. I hope you like it.

When I first met you, I had no idea that we would be where we are today. I had just gotten to Southern Wesleyan University, and I knew maybe only two people. Well, in my attempt to meet new people, I approached the cute little blonde sitting by herself and asked if I could sit next to her. Well, she put her leg in the chair next to her and said no. Who would have thought that would have led to anything?

The next week, I saw this girl around campus. We were even in the same friend group. Then it came down to her birthday. She set so many alarms on my phone. I was up all night, each alarm thirty minutes after the other. Well, nonetheless, I’m sure that you’ve figured out that I was talking about you.

We somehow, against the odds, ended up together. I love you so much, but you already know that. I have no doubt that we are supposed to be together. We have been pushed away from each other several times now, but we always bounce back. We always end up back together. We go through rough patches, but I’m willing to put in the work needed if you are.

Thank you for everything that you do for me. Thank you for putting up with all of my dorkiness. Thank you for being there for me in the middle of the night when I just need to talk to someone. Thank you for the surprise little notes I get throughout the day, for putting up with my awkward questions, and for supporting me with where God has called me. I love the cute little nicknames you give me, and how you want to show me off whenever we are in public.

I love how you are up for anything, as long as your swim schedule doesn’t leave you too tired to. Want to go on a drive or a walk? Sure. Want to go the movies or trampoline park? Sure. Want to go to falls park? No babe, I’m exhausted and have swim in the morning. I love how passionate you are about everything you do. If you put your mind to something, you go after it with a fire that no one can extinguish. When you have your heart and mind set, there is nothing that can change that. That can be bad sometimes, but I wouldn’t want you to be any different.

I love all the randomness that you are. I can never predict what you are going to do. Whether it’s surprising me by doing my laundry while I am away for a weekend or by sending me a cute text saying how proud you are of me. You are that little puzzle that I never can fully understand. But, I know you so well. I know when you are tired and need sleep. I know when something bothers you by how quiet you get (which by the way, is not very often). I know that when you are excited about something, your voice gets squeaky. I know that when you are tired, you start to get a cute little lisp and that you can fall asleep anywhere. I also love how when I made a love playlist, you added a bunch of Disney songs.

I can’t wait to see where God takes us. I can't wait for the day that you meet me at the altar. The day we slide the rings on each other's fingers. The day we say I do. The day we kiss in front of friends and family. The day I tell the world that you're mine forever. I can't wait for you to play with my ring, but this one saying I'm yours. I can’t wait to get your name tattooed on my left ring finger, because I want you to be mine forever. I know that God has big plans for us, and I can barely wait the three years before you can be my wife.

You and I have fallen hard. I dream about you every single night. I hear a song and I think about you. I see something cute and it reminds me of you. You're my Wendy. You're my Leia. You're my Ally, my Juliet, and my Cinderella. I love this wonderful story that is unfolding. And this love story is my favorite.

I love you forever and always baby,

Peter Pan