If You Think The Class Of 2020 Is 'Over-Exaggerating' Right Now — I Promise You We Aren't

Our senior year is being stripped away.. and we can't do anything about it.

24487

To Whom It May Concern,

I know you may think this whole coronavirus thing has been blown out of proportion, or you don't understand how we're upset that school's out because when you were in high school, you would've killed for this kind of break.

But the reality of it is, it's not a break to us. We've spent twelve years working to get to where we are now.

We've spent twelve years working towards our graduation day, which may not even occur as it's supposed to.

The start of our final quarter as high school students consists of the cancellation of all organizations and state conferences, which we've been working towards and for this entire year. It was our final time to make an impact. The last time to go as far as we could in an organization or extracurricular activity that has help shape not only our high school career but ourselves.

The cancellation of our spring sports, which doesn't allow us to have that final season with our teammates on that field or track.

We may not get the opportunity to have a senior night of the only sport we've ever played. We may never get to put on our school's jersey again to compete in the sport we love; the sport we've spent countless hours sweating over and working on. It could all be over.

The cancellation of school, without warning.

We could've already attended our last day of high school and not even known it. There's a possibility of not having a senior trip or the ability to do a senior prank. The class of 2020 doesn't need senior skip day because now that's every day, but that's nothing to celebrate. The memories within that school and with our classmates have been cut short. Way shorter than they should have been.

We should not have to scramble to figure out what to do with a prom dress that's already been bought but can't be worn due to the limiting of sizes of social events. We should not have the anxiety that comes with trying to figure out how we're going to have our classes online and pass this final quarter of our high school careers.

To us, this is more than just a virus.

It's more than just the cancellation of school and activities. It's our final days, weeks, and months as a high school student that has been completely uprooted and torn away. Our last part of high school should be filled with happiness and a bit of nostalgia, not uncertainty and stress.

As seniors, we don't know what's next.

Everything we've dreamt of and worked for has been moved out of reach. Before you downplay this virus or how we're reacting, put yourself into our shoes and take in everything that's being altered within our lives right now. These things that are supposed to be a yearly norm for high school seniors are no longer occurring. It's hard on us, so please be kind. We need all the love, support, and prayers we can get right now.

Sincerely,

A 2020 Senior

From Your Site Articles