An Open Letter To My Future Self

An Open Letter To My Future Self

I wish that I knew then what I know now.

68
An Open Letter To My Future Self
Cindy Centofanti

As you read this you smile inside because you know very well why you’re reading this. The struggles you have been through to this day have helped mold you into the perfection you are. The scars you wear like a crown glimmer with the inner love you have finally found. The tears that once adorned your cheeks have long faded away. Now appears a rosy red tint that glows anytime a smile stretches on your face.

The inner happiness you possess is so dear. Hold onto it and cherish it, for you fought perilous battles for it.

Remember the time your heart felt like an empty cavity? The only comfort you had in that void was the reassurance of knowing that somehow you would make it through the tough time. You thought at the time that darkness would engulf you. It didn’t. You know by now the love you have for yourself is far greater than anyone else’s opinions. At one point, that was all that was on your mind — the endless question as to why people were so harsh with their judgments. It didn’t make sense to you then, but those people were too small-minded to see beyond their own ignorance.

There have been many tough lessons in love along your journey that have helped you become who you are now. Out of all the lessons, heartbreak was probably the biggest pill to swallow. Unfortunately, you have experienced heartbreak one too many times. Perhaps you know that love will find a way in its own time, even if it doesn’t appear when you want it. Patience is the key, my darling. Your once stone-cold heart is warm with self-love and appreciation for those around you that support you in your life.

You probably still ask the question: why? Why was it you that had to battle through the pain to come to these realizations that took you years to understand? The process of finding your true self is daunting, but it’s a journey that is required. The path is traveled by many but conquered by few. It was a journey that you were always reluctant to embark on. What you gained along the way was so worth it though.

Your beauty on the inside shines brighter than any diamond.

The perilous nights that you laid awake and prayed to a God that you weren’t sure existed were nights that you would later grow to appreciate. It was necessary for you to learn how to be alone, to feel a fragment of the pain that everyone else in this world feels. That feeling would soon help you grow into a deeper and more caring individual then you already were. The loneliness hurt, but it would have hurt even more had you never grown into a strong, independent woman.

Sometimes life doesn’t go exactly the way you plan for it, but what you gain from the experiences along the way is far greater than what you had originally planned. I’m not saying there won’t be ups and downs along the way throughout the rest of your life; however, I’m confident that by now, you have developed a life full of love and brightness. The light that shines within you will guide you through whatever darkness you might stumble upon in the future.