An Open Letter To My Coach

An Open Letter To My Coach

She told me I could, so I did

417
An Open Letter To My Coach
Jennifer Wrzala

To the Woman Who Made Me Feel Like I Could Do Anything,

You will never understand how truly thankful I am that you are a part of my life. You aren't just a teacher to me. You're a friend, and you're an unforgettable human being.

When I met you, I was nervous you wouldn't want to deal with me. I may have been on the dance team, but I wasn't as good as the rest of the girls my age. It made me feel insecure that my best friends deserved solos, and I deserved to be on the sides of the formations. I always thought it would be that way for me. I thought I would always be stuck in the back, but you gave me a chance.

Ever since you started coaching us, you put so much work, time, and energy into our program. You helped it grow, you listened to us, you did everything you could to get us to perform more. Due to your hard work, we got more noticed in the school community, people started to appreciate what we did, and I couldn't have been happier to be a member of our wonderful team.

You watched me grow from the moment you met me. There was never a day where you weren't giving me feedback and telling me everything I could do to be a better dancer. You gave me the opportunities to put myself out there and try new technique and skills. You even offered me the opportunity to be a captain of your team, and I don't think you will ever understand how much that meant to me.

As a captain, I learned so much. I learned how to be a leader without being overbearing, to be organized and treat everyone fairly, and to work easily with others. Because of you, I grew as a dancer and a person, and I have some of the best memories of my life being a member of your team.

Although you have influenced me as my leader, you have also been a friend. You have seen me on my worst days, and you have been there to help me get back on my feet. You will talk through anything with me, and you always have advice to give. I know I could call you in the middle of the night in trouble, and you would help me find my way out of it.

You deserve more recognition than you receive. I hope one day you can get something to show for your immense care for others. You give up so much of yourself for the benefit of others, and that deserves recognition. You always do what is best for your students and your dancers, and I wish that more people will acknowledge that some day.

Keep being you because anyone will be lucky to cross your path. Thank you for everything you have done for me and your dancers. Thank you for building confidence in us, for treating us with respect even when we didn't deserve it, for never giving up on us, and for loving us unconditionally even when we disappointed you. Thank you for being a part of my life!

There are no words to express my gratitude.

Love,

The Girl Who Thought She Couldn't