An Open Letter To My Nana

An Open Letter To My Nana

A open letter about my childhood inspiration

264
An Open Letter To My Nana

Dear Nana,

How does someone put into words the joy this amazing woman brings to this world. She is an affable and gracious companion to many. She is strong. She is neighborly. She is selfless. She is a gift to me and anyone that knows her because you do not find Grandmas like her everyday.

This wonderful lady I just described has been through countless trials in her life,some of which I do not even know. The strength she has is remarkable. Her husband and my Pop passed away a little over 4 years ago. They were married for almost 60 years before he passed away and there love was inspiring. As a teen I looked up to her when he passed away and she kept it together way more than I would expect now that I look back at it. She kept her hurt inside for the family. She always looked to help others even in her hardest times.

Flash forward to now. She recently broke her pelvis. She was in the hospital for a couple days and then had to be moved to rehab for 4 weeks because she needs some help before she can live alone again. I have been to visit her twice once in the hospital and for Thanksgiving. As you would imagine most people in the hospital and rehab would be grouchy or irritable but not this lady. Nana was grateful and thanking the nurses and everyone who helped her. Not once while I was there was she mean or complained about anything. I take that back, she did complain once about them saying she cannot have salt but she laughed it off and made everyone laugh too.

While in rehab she asked my mom to bring a guitar and I did. I never normally play in front of people because I am not comfortable with it but I agreed to try for her. I started by playing some Christmas songs and she was singing along through her pain and hurt and her roommate said that she was just blessed to hear some music. It was such a blessing tome to provide joy to these amazing ladies. We went outside later on and my parents left so she asked me to play silent night. I agreed and did my best and it brought tears to her eyes. Us sitting there singing and her tearing up actually could not make me happier. It is the simple things that sometimes trump the large ones.

I later went back to her house to pack up before we headed home. While just looking through things in the dinning room during a commercial in a hallmark movie all that I stumbled upon was devotions. There were christian books, little scripture books, devotions, and more. This was what sparked the light in my head about how inspiring she truly is. Through all of her trouble, hurts, pains, and goo times she puts her trust in Jesus. Respect your elderly because often times if you just take time to listen to them and enjoy there company then you may learn a good deal.

Thanks for being my inspiration,

Summer