An Open Letter To My Children

An Open Letter To My Children

There are so many things I want to say.

131
An Open Letter To My Children
Eric Froehling

As I sit here watching my children play with Kinetic Sand after a long couple of days of getting everyone into their own rooms, I realize that there is so much I wish I could say to them that they would understand. I realize, though, that they are children and questions are frequent and expected.

Dear Children of Mine,

From the moment I held each of you in my arms, I learned that I could love more than before. I vowed to myself that I would always protect you and I made a promise to always be there for you. As I have sat back and watched each of you become your own person, you all test my patience day in and day out, but my promises and vows have remained true and they always will.

I know that you are still learning and that you are growing more and more each day, but I need you to stop for a moment and enjoy being the kids that you are.

You see, sometimes there are things that go on in this world that force you to grow up faster than planned and that isn't fair to you. Your Bonus Mom and I have already had to explain things in life that were never thought of or spoken of when we were your age. In fact, when they happened everyone was in shock, it wasn't a part of normal day to day conversations.

I love that each of you is developing your own sense of independence, but, at the same time, I hate it because it means you are growing and you are getting older.

I am not looking forward to your teenage years because the idea of you all dating, driving, graduating, moving away to college, or just plain moving out scares the shit out of me. The things that you will endure when you discover your sexuality or identity, if that comes into question, will be scary, but we will always be there to support and help you through the rough patches.

I pray that you will find happiness in yourself before you attempt to find happiness in others or other materialistic things. At the end of the day, you will always have yourself and your family, but there will come a point where your desire for independence will become stronger and you won't always turn to your family for guidance. This is not a bad thing though so don't; become discouraged.

Life is about learning lessons.

I do want to thank you for being awesome, supportive, and accepting of my relationship to your Bonus Mom and I know that you are overly excited about the roles you will play at our wedding. It warms our hearts that we didn't have to pass each other by due to your disapproval.

It is also rewarding to know that you get to see what a truly happy family looks like.

So, when you are looking at your dress or tuxedo for prom, planning on which college to go to, or choosing the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with always remember to make sure that, regardless, you will always be happy.

I love you guys!

Mom