An Open Letter to College Professors

An Open Letter to College Professors

Students Need Grace Too

132
An Open Letter to College Professors

Dear College Professors,

I know it's difficult being a teacher during all of this. My mom has been teaching for 28 years and all of a sudden her world is turned upside down. Everything she thought she knew about teaching is gone. Sure, she still puts her students first and makes sure they're getting what they need. That's the same. However, the outlet has completely been altered.

I know for a fact that this is how most, if not all, teachers are feeling. Whether it's elementary school, middle school, high school or college, I am aware that things are different. Our professors have to change everything about how they teach now. They have to learn how to use Zoom, they have to be flexible, and they have to be prepared in case we go online all at once again. And, we thank them for all they have done for us.

My dear professors, I ask something of you though. While we are trying our best to give you grace, we ask for the same in return. You cannot expect us to have our entire lives together just as we do not expect that of you. We are just as unsure about everything as you are. Our frustrations are not at you, in fact, they are at the world right now.

We are relying heavily on Canvas pages and schedules. Please please PLEASE try not to alter these things without giving us a heads up. Do not send us an email in the morning and expect us to complete the task you just assigned by class time...which just so happens to be in an hour. Please try your best to ensure that your schedule matches the due dates in Canvas. And please try not to send a contradicting email out because I can assure you, someone will be replying and asking a million questions, which will just frustrate you even more.

Communication is key. This has always been the case, but we need this now more than ever. Again, we as students understand you're going through just as much as we are, if not more. And if it's not more, then it's on a different level that we might not be able to understand because we're all living different lives.

I know we are also CRAVING human interaction and opportunities to socialize. This is why our in-person classes are so important to us. We want pleasant interactions, and this is difficult to obtain when we are upset and feeling like we aren't doing well in your class.

If anything, I ask that you please remind us of the progress we are making and give us these positive interactions. No, I'm not asking for a cookie every time I do something good in your class. I'm simply asking for those kind reminders that we are all in the same boat and that you know we are trying out best. I can assure you this will remind us that you are also trying your best.

Thank you again for all that you do, and thank you for taking the time to read this. I know we can all get through this together, and we look forward to the rest of the semester with you.

Sincerely,

An Optimistic and Caring College Student