An Open Letter To My Baby Sister

An Open Letter To My Baby Sister

"Two are better than one... for if they fall, one will lift up the other." - Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

1210
An Open Letter To My Baby Sister
Michelle Whitehead Photography

Most firstborn children, at some point in their lives, ask their parents if and when they'll ever get a baby brother or sister. I did it, and when God and my parents gifted me a baby sister, I was the happiest little girl in the world.

You were that gift to me and I've loved you even more so everyday since.

I won't lie and say there hasn't been times that I wished I could put you back where you came from when you drive me up a wall. When you learned to walk, it was cute to watch you stumble around. When you began following me around the house, I wanted to bind your feet together. When you learned to talk, the babbling sounds that your words made were funny. When you mastered sarcasm at the age of two, I wanted to scream.

However, there have been exponentially more days when I've thought to myself that I'm the luckiest girl in the world for being given you as a sister. There's no greater feeling than knowing there is a little girl in the world that wants to grow up and be just like me. You've made me better, so I can be someone you look up to, a role model in your life. You give me a reason every single day to treat others with kindness, be strong in adversity, and pursue my dreams to the fullest extent.

You've saved me in ways you don't know and I may never be able to explain, but I thank you for it endlessly. When I thought the world was against me and no one loved me anymore, you always did. When I thought I had no one in my life to lean on, you were always there. You probably never realized what the little things you did for me meant, but I promise you, they meant the world to me.

I'm writing this letter to tell you that I love you, in case a day goes by and you aren't as sure. I'm writing this letter to tell you that I don't see or talk to you everyday, but I definitely think about you. I'm writing this letter to tell you that you are the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

I miss the days of pushing you around the house in a laundry basket, of building snowmen in the winter, and playing on the trampoline in the summer. I miss dying Easter eggs in the spring and jumping in piles of leaves in the fall. I miss your first birthday, your first Christmas, and the first time you felt the salty ocean water. I miss the little girl with pigtails and chubby cheeks and cute little outfits. But I marvel at the girl you are now.

There's no feeling quite like being a big sister. When I feel like giving up, I look at the picture of you and me on my wall and remind myself that there is a little girl watching me, and it would break my heart to disappoint you.

You're beautiful, and smart, and strong enough to take on anything in front of you. I have no doubt in mind that you'll take the world by storm. You have the most amazing heart and I hope you never lose it. You've grown into such an amazing person, and I can only hope that I played - and can continue to play - a part in making you this wonderful girl that you are.

I hope you never forget that I will always be your protector, your shoulder to cry on, your best friend, your confidant, your biggest fan.

I love you to pieces, baby girl. From the very first day I held you in the hospital, I have loved you beyond measure.

Love,

Sissy