An Interview with My Aunt Kaye Who is Battling Cancer

We're in it to win it!

120
EmmaLee Haga

This article means more than I can describe in words.

Some people may not know this but my Aunt Kaye Haga was diagnosed with cancer just last year. On my dad's side of the family, cancer has been a huge worry. When I found out about her diagnosis, I immediately thought, "What can I do?" Well here I am, about a year later now figuring out what to do since my Aunt Kaye and our family found out that the cancer has spread. The cancer has spread to her lungs and a part of her pelvis. Now that she is undergoing more treatments, I have found a way to do my part.

Below is an interview with my Aunt Kaye, who happily agreed to let me do this. I hope that you see how strong this woman truly this. She has been such a blessing in not only my life, but those who know her.

If you would like to donate money or buy a shirt, I have set up to campaigns for her. Here is the link to buy the tee shirt, and here is the link to donate money. Anything is appreciated. Thank you in advance for any donations, and your thoughts and prayers.

What type of cancer did you have/currently have, and what stage was/is the cancer?

I can get back to you with the name - the stage I did not ask because honestly, I was afraid. I was more concerned with what are the treatments and when we could start them. I was diagnosed on Feb 22, 2016 with rectal cancer.

When did you find out you had cancer?

On Feb 22, 2016

What was your initial reaction to finding out the diagnosis?

Shock.. Fear and disbelief

What types of treatment did/are you currently receiving?

I received 4 treatments of chemotherapy, then I had radiation five days a month for 25 days which included taking a chemo-in a pill form for two times a day. I then had surgery to remove the tumor and lastly I had 8 treatments of the chemo which included wearing a portable chemo pack for two days. Unfortunately, the cancer had spread so I have an additional 4 chemo treatments added. I will have another cat scan in a few weeks and I hope its all gone.

How has the cancer and treatment affected your life? (Job, social life, love life, etc.)

My job has been very supportive during this time but I have missed quite a bit of work because of this. Since being diagnosed I have found out who my true friends are and was blown away by the love and support I received. I have learned to not hold back on telling others how I love and appreciate them. I have also had to ask for help and allow myself to sob when I needed too. My whole world was flipped upside down - everything changed and very fast.

Is your support system strong/what is it like?

Yes, My support systems include.. my family, friends, gym friends and friends from my meditation and church... I engage with people who are strong and believe in the power of prayer.

What is daily life like for you now?

Treatment weeks are no fun but I try to practice gratitude because this is needed for my recovery. On the off weeks I start to feel good & get to go back to the gym & run and there is nothing I love better. I love going to work and the things that used to bug me ....have absolutely no effect on me at all.

Do you feel as though you appreciate life more now that you have gone through this experience?

Yes, Life, family and friends. These are the things that really matter and allowing myself to be fully present in each moment and not take anyone or anything for granted.

How do you stay positive through all your treatments and appointments?

I pray, I write in my journal and I take life one day at a time... Sometimes 1 hour at a time. Lyla has been so wonderful as well as you and all the family members. My friends at work and the gym help me to stay positive and remind me that I WILL get through this. My friend Jan has been wonderful. I have never called anyone my best friend cause I thought that was corny but she is my best friend and makes me laugh and helps me forget about treatments for a while.

Do you have any advice or words of wisdom you can give someone who just found out that they have cancer?

Don't give up... Cry when you need too & allow yourself to vulnerable with safe people. I would say that my mother dying when I was nine was very hard on me .... and this rates right up there with it.

This woman is by far one of the strongest women I know. I don't know what I would do without her in my life, or what life would be like if she wasn't my Aunt. There are no words to describe how much I love this woman, and how much her positivity encourages me to look at the brighter side of everything.

So my dear Aunt Kaye, I love you with all my heart, and I believe that your doctor and the treatments will work. There is so much love, support, and positivity around you, that I can't not see you beating cancer. We're in it to win it!