An American's Newly-Acquired Olympic Spirit

How having golf in the Olympics gave me the Olympic spirit

3
Brenden Curry

For the first time in my life, a sport that I have a true interest in will make me want to watch the Olympics. Unlike swimming or gymnastics where I'll watch it every four years, a sport that I watch regularly will be in the Olympics. The sport that I’ll be watching in this year is golf.

Golf has become a sport that I’ve became obsessed with in recent years. Yes, I’ve heard people say that golf is so boring to watch on television. However, I find it very entertaining with its unpredictable nature.

Whenever I watch a golf tournament on television, it’s always up for grabs for any golfer competing. I find this mainly in the major championships of golf. For example, last year’s Master's Champion Jordan Spieth appeared that he was going to defend the green jacket. However, some random player from England that I’ve never even heard of, won The Master's instead.

Danny Willett, who is representing Great Britain, won thanks to Jordan Spieth’s final round collapse on the back nine. That final round of the 2016 Master's is an example of how watching golf on television is entertaining and unpredictable.

I see the Olympics having that same nature as the major golf championships. The Olympics to me have that same idea of having no set favorite and not knowing who’s going to win the first gold medal in golf in 112 years.

The only way I felt that the unpredictability occurred when the top players withdrew their names from consideration due to concerns over the Zika virus.

Yes, it’s a very disappointing that I will not see the top four golfers compete in the Olympics. And yes, I would’ve loved to see my two favorite golfers, Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy, compete.

However, I think with none of them participating, I feel that the Olympic golf tournament is anyone’s tournament to win. The Olympics gives me an opportunity to watch a lesser-known golfer make history by winning gold. Sometimes, watching those type of moments are the best golf moments and the Olympics are a great way for an underdog to become a champion and a household name on the PGA Tour.

Another way that this Olympic tournament is anyone’s tournament to win, is that all the players are competing on a brand-new golf course. A brand-new golf course gives all the players that are competing in the Olympics some familiar ground with no distinct advantages or disadvantages each player may have entering the tournament.

Speaking of the Olympic golf course, there is a local connection. The Olympic Golf Course was designed by Gil Hanse, who has also designed the home course for the Avon Grove High School golf team, Inniscrone.

From playing at Inniscrone often this summer, I can now further appreciate Gil Hanse’s work by watching the golf tournament being played on a course he designed. It is also great seeing a local guy make a huge impact for a sport that is looking to grow globally by designing the Olympic course.

I do feel that the four golfers that are representing the United States have a good chance of bringing home gold. By having a two-time Masters champion, Bubba Watson, as one the four Olympic golfers boosts America’s chance to win gold in men’s individual golf.

I’m looking forward to watching the upcoming Olympic golf tournaments. The Olympic golf tournament will show me and others watching, a side of the golfers competing shown every once in a while: playing for country, rather than cash.

I’ve heard the golf commentators in the last few days say that some of the golfers in the field play their best golf when representing their respective countries. Playing for their country will inspire these golfers to play their best golf to date. Besides, any athlete who competes with something that inspires them to play well usually wins. I truly see it in all the golfers, especially the Americans.

I truly feel golf being in the Olympics now has given me a way to have and feel the Olympic spirit. Spirit that I hope will help lead one of the four Americans to win gold.