Creating A Leader
Politics

Creating A Leader

Less Complaining. More Doing

9
Creating A Leader

"We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States."

These sweet words ring across our Nation’s History. They were written in 1776 declaring America’s Freedom and Independence. July Fourth is the anniversary to this monumental event. There will be parades and firework shows sweeping the country in celebration. With the upcoming election, I feel this Fourth of July should not only honor our Founding Fathers, but our future leaders.

Voters and political analyst have stated their opinions on the inadequacy of the presidential candidates. People have criticized and accused the candidates of being deceitful, lying, and pompous. With terrorists' threats and violence sweeping across the world, America needs a strong leader more than ever. Society complains about needing one, but what is it doing to create one?

The problem of creating a leader dates back to the days of Moses in ancient biblical history. Moses was chosen by God to lead His people out of Egypt into the Promise Land. Moses was filled with responsibilities caring and leading the Israel nation. Regardless, of all his responsibilities weighing on his shoulders, He undertook an extra task. . Moses took Joshua under his wing. He saw the long term picture and knew he would not be with the people forever. Joshua was molded and mentored by Moses to become the next leader for the people. Following Moses's death, Joshua was the one who finally lead the Hebrew people into the Promise Land.

Joshua went on to become a great leader. The only problem with Joshua was he didn't guide and mold someone to follow in his footsteps after his death. This lead to some struggling days for God's very own chosen people. Repeatedly, Scripture writes of the lacking for the nation’s leader. “And there was no king in Israel in those days and everyone did what was right in his own eyes.” Judges 21:25. This was all because Joshua did not take the time to apprentice to the next leader. This problem is defined by Tim Elmore’s Habitudes as the Joshua Problem. It is the reoccurring issue when someone is unable to fill the role following a successful leader.

This is a problem our nation is facing this very moment. We grumble, whine and complain about wanting "Change" and "Making America Great Again" but we are playing no part in making it happen. We as a nation are not creating the next leaders. while, I think it is a little late to mold our next President, you can be a Moses right now where you are! Don't be a Joshua; investing and training our children with qualities we seek in an honorable leader. I work as Day Camp Supervisor. I asked my campers what they wanted to be when they grew up, and a five-year-old stated "I want to be George Washington when I grow up." It is part of my job to help sure he contains the qualities of a Founding Father by teaching and as an example.

If you are dissatisfied with the Presidential candidates, instead of grumbling, do something! If we want certain qualities in our leaders, we must train our young tomorrows. If you want a leader of respect, teach someone. If you want a leader of Integrity, show someone. If you want a leader of Truth, invest in someone. Be a Moses. That “Someone” just may be President one day.