Ambrose, Corbin And Styles Save TLC From Major Failure

A great card with great wrestlers who fail to deliver on the last PPV of the year.

15

WWE's Smackdown Live looked forward to finishing off an amazing year with a bang in it's last pay-per-view of 2016. TLC (Tables, Ladders, and Chairs) has been an end of the year tradition at WWE for a while now and it continues to be one of the best and most exciting pay-per-views of the year. With promising matches such as Dolph Ziggler v, The Miz in a ladders match for the Intercontinental Championship or AJ Styles v. Dean Ambrose in a traditional TLC match for the WWE World Championship, this PPV had some of the highest expectations of the year. Did it live up to the hype? Let's break it down.

Pre Show: American Alpha, The Hype Bros and Apollo Crews def. The Vaudevillians, The Ascension, and Curt- 2/5

This match was too slow for my liking. Although I didn't expect it to blow me away, I was hopeful because of the amazing team of American Alpha. I was content with the utilization of the up and coming stars, but this match was pointless and felt shoved in to pass time before the start of the actual PPV. However, the ending sequence just before the final pinfall was amazing, hard-hitting, and made up for the flaws that this match already had.

Smackdown Live Tag-Team Championship: The Wyatt Family def. Heath Slater and Rhyno- 2.5/5

Going into this match, we all knew who would walk out of the arena as the champions. It was an obvious match and therefore led to an obvious ending to a disappointingly quick match. I know that Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt are future hall-of-famers and their opponents aren't, but the match had the potential to be amazing due to how good the team of Slater and Rhyno have become since the much-needed brand-split.

Though not the best wrestling match, the image of The Wyatt Family with their titles after the match was absolutely artistic. Bray Wyatt has deserved WWE gold since the moment he cut his first creepy yet satisfying promo in the WWE and It's always a treat to see Randy Orton as a champion.

No Disqualification: Nikki Bella def. Carmella - 3/5

For a while, Nikki Bella was one of those divas that I wanted to love but simply couldn't because she doesn't have the in-ring presence I want her to have. That being said, I absolutely love her now. She's improved immensely in-ring and in cutting promos.

Carmella is a new Diva on Smackdown Live and she's quickly making a name for herself. Whenever I watch her do her thing, I can't help but think of a younger Nikki Bella. I like the way that creativity is pushing her in the diva's division, but she needs a change in gimmick because she seems too much like a knock-off of Nikki Bella.

This match started off slow and boring. The divas didn't execute on some moves and they seemed to botch a few as well. This quickly became frustrating because I had high expectations. However, the pace eventually shifted and the match became very entertaining due to a nasty flying roundhouse kick delivered by Bella.

The Bella Army has to be pleased by this result.

Ladder Match: Intercontinental Championship: The Miz def. Dolph Ziggler- 3.25/5

I love Dolph Ziggler and The Miz equally. They are two of my favorite wrestlers currently competing. No matter what, both of these men will put on a show for the fans.

This rivalry has been phenomenal. Going into the match, I was ready to get blown away. I expected the unexpected from this match. As soon as the match hit the five minute mark, It just felt like a squash from then on. Miz took control and it never seemed like Ziggler would make a comeback. However, Ziggler hit a beautiful DDT to The Miz onto the ladder. Another highlight was The Miz locking Ziggler's leg inside a ladder and clamping onto a figure-four leg lock in the process. As soon as it looked like The Miz was gonna take the championship, Ziggler knocked down the ladder and left Miz hanging from the hook above the ring. Sadly, there was only one more highlight in the match and that is when The Miz powerbombs Ziggler onto a ladder. The match was far from 'bad', but I am saddened to say that the ending to this amazing rivalry was not as 'awesome' as I imagined it would be.

Chairs Match: Baron Corbin Def. Kalisto- 3.5/5

Kalisto and Baron Corbin are both fantastic athletes and deserve a big push for a title on Smackdown Live. I was extremely excited for the match between these two competitors and I was not let down. I went in hoping Corbin would prove dominance over Kalisto, but not squash him entirely. I was happy with what I got because Kalisto showed tremendous pride in his showing against Corbin. The match was extreme and very exciting. There was a point in the match where Kalisto leaped off of a chair to soar out of the ring and collide with Corbin. Later, Corbin sets up a row of chairs looking to send Kalisto through them but is set up for a rude awakening as Kalisto smashes him on them with a beautifully executed senton. Another hard hitting moment was when Corbin hit Kalisto with one of his finishers, Deep Six, onto the outside floor. One of the best moments of this high impact match was the ending where Corbin obliterates Kalisto's skull with a chair shot to the head leading to another 'Deep Six' for the three count.

Tables Match: Smackdown Live Women's Championship: Alexa Bliss def. Becky Lynch- 2.75/5

Two of the best Diva's in the 'New Era' went toe to toe last night in a match that held very high expectations. Lynch and Bliss went back and forth the whole time and tried their best to put on a show but I wasn't convinced. Especially since I know what these two women are capable of.

The best moment in last night's match was when Bliss powerbombed Lynch into the table to win the Smackdown Live Women's Championship. Another great moment during this match was when Bliss hit a DDT to Lynch on the edge of a table teasing an early victory. Sadly, these were the only highlights during this lackluster match.

TLC Match: WWE World Championship: AJ Styles def. Dean Ambrose: 4.5/5

Two of my favorite wrestlers in the 'New Era', AJ Styles and Dean Ambrose give it all they've got in this amazing rivalry ending battle. As soon as the match started, both men were trading blows all over the ring and at times on the ramp. The match felt more of a brawl, and that is what I hoped would happen due to how great these men perform in 'brawls'. The match tipped off in favor of "The Lunatic Fringe" Dean Ambrose as he beat and walloped Styles all over the arena. The best part about this match was how perfectly each man used the tables, ladders, and chairs as weapons. It felt as if Ambrose truly won the war because he dished out more of the pain throughout the match.

James Ellsworth came out to support his buddy, Ambrose but ended up turning on him and costing him the championship.

There were countless highlights from the get go. At the start, Ambrose suplexes Styles onto the ramp. During their brawl around the fans, Ambrose slid a garbage bin over Styles and continued to attack him. Ambrose attempted to leap off of the barricade but Styles countered with a beautiful dropkick, flooring the challenger. Later on, Styles side-slams the challenger onto a chair in what looked to be a very painful execution. Desperately looking for an advantage, Ambrose flips Styles onto four chairs. Ambrose looked to secure the victory early but decided to leap off of the ladder and land a gorgeous flying elbow onto the announcers' table, breaking it and Styles in half. Looking to settle the score, Styles knocks the challenger down from the ladder with a 'phenomenal' forearm and continues his barrage by executing a 450-splash onto a table.

I'm saddened by the end of the rivalry, but very optimistic for the future of Smackdown led by these two warriors.

I expected the 'Deadman' to make his return and chokeslam Styles off of the ladder signaling the start of their rivalry but again, I was left disappointed by WWE Creative.

Verdict: Dean Ambrose, AJ Styles, and Baron Corbin steal the show in a PPV that didn't deliver like it should have. The future of Smackdown Live has never been brighter, but there is still a very long way to go.

6.5/10