8 Things That Might Make You Think You're The DUFF

You should read this just so you know that you have nothing to worry about.

507
Women Write About Comics

Did anyone see the movie "The DUFF" that came out in February? No, I'm not talking about a movie with Hilary Duff in it but the movie about the designated ugly fat friend.

Yeah just let that sink in.

If you haven't heard of it before (I can promise that you aren't missing much), I personally invite you to watch the movie trailer here.

What is it like to be the real life DUFF?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, sit back and enjoy this one because I am about to give you a first-hand look at what it's like to feel like the DUFF and still be 100 percent okay with what people think.

1. "I'm in a sorority but I don't know that many frat guys... I honestly just know names. "

First of all -- are you shocked that I'm in a sorority and I'm actually not a whore? (Yeah, your first assumption of sororities being nothing but partying whores is completely wrong.)

Yes, I have guys that are my friends in different fraternities, but wanna know another secret? Not all frat guys are assholes that are just after that one thing that sorority girls give them.

2."I don't share clothes with anyone... hence the "fat" part.

LOL this is the best part... I actually do share clothes with my housemates. They are some badass girls with curves and there is nothing wrong with being curvy. Do I wear crop tops and booty shorts? No, mainly because I don't feel comfortable in them, but also because I don't want to scar anyone with the scary sight.

3. "I'm in a sorority and people have literally asked me, "Wait how did you get into that sorority when you're the fattest one?"

If you're wondering if this has actually happened to me... yes, it has. It happened my freshman year literally the week after I got into Kappa Delta. It honestly broke my heart on a different level that I hope nobody has to experience.

Now, being on the other side of recruitment, I can 100-percent promise you that at Lynchburg College, you aren't going to get into an organization because you are blonde and a size 0. You are going to get into an organization because of the conversations that you have with the sisters that become your role models.

*more about being fat later*

4. "Guys don't talk to me because they think I'm hot... they talk to me because my friends are hot."

Okay, I know this happens to women all the time. It doesn't matter if you are the DUFF, if you think you're the DUFF or even if you're just a regular female. It's happened to me plenty of times, and you know what I do? I carry on a conversation with the guy just to see how long it takes him to actually talk to my friend. Guys have confidence issues too. Instead of feeling like crap because you're the one that guys talk too to get closer to your friend, take pride in knowing that you are the approachable girl that guys come too. One day that guy going for your friend is going to go for you simply because you're you.

5. "My confidence is low."

Honey, everyone has low confidence. Sadly, having low confidence is more common than actually being confident. But me personally, I am living proof that you can go from zero to at least 80 real quick. I had zero confidence when I was a freshman. I had zero confidence first semester. Second semester is when things really started changing for me. I knew I had found my organization the night that one of the most beautiful sisters talked to me about confidence. That conversation truly changed me and because Ellen made me feel confident, and I learned how to make myself feel confident.

Every female is going to have weak days and not want to even look in a mirror but please know that it will pass and your confidence will only get stronger.

6. "I trust all of my friends."

Trust is earned. Trust is one of the biggest lessons you will ever learn and I am going to personally apologize to you now. Trust is one of those things that hurt just as much as getting sick on the day of your senior prom.

7. "I only have a couple of friends."

I may be the DUFF, but let me tell you, I have some of the greatest bonds with some of the greatest sisters. You would be surprised at how many people actually know you and remember you because of your personality. It's okay that they don't remember you from that night that you knew you would regret anyways. Remember that you have your friends and then you have more on top of that too.

8. "I hate being so fat."

Being a bigger person is not the biggest crime in the world. What even is the word fat? Who came up with that? Did they realize that one word would change the way a person looks at himself in the mirror? This last semester has been one of the more challenging times in my life because of everything that was going on, otherwise known as that thing called "life," I struggled a lot with being the bigger girl in my friend group -- hell, even in my own sorority. But if one thing is certain, it is that I am who I am and I love me. Just because I'm bigger doesn't mean I'm any less of a person -- it just means there is more to love.

The truth is I know I'm not an actual DUFF, but I do know that I am not the most popular girl at school, or even the skinniest one. But I do know that no matter who I am, I have great people who are going to be my friends no matter what.

Hi, my name is Shay, and I am not the skinniest girl. I'm a size 14 and I'm proud of it. I'm involved in my college. I am a part of the best organization on campus that reminds me every day just how beautiful and confident I truly am. I spend an average amount of time in the library. I have bad days where I feel like nothing short of a whale. I don't trust everyone, but I do know who I can count on. Being the most popular girl isn't the most important thing. Being the skinniest isn't the most important thing either.

What is important is to join organizations that push you to be the best you can be, to spend time in the library studying, to make friends of all different shapes and sizes, and the most important thing above all is to be confident and to continue to be yourself.

Being a DUFF isn't even a real thing, and if it is, then I can promise you that you need to try and make other friends. If they can't accept you the way you are, then how will you accept the way you are?