Why I Will Always Be A Swiftie

Why I Will Always Be A Swiftie

Our girl Tay has been getting some hate lately.

96
Why I Will Always Be A Swiftie
Independent

"Swiftie" - a fan and supporter of Taylor Swift.

I've been labeled a Swiftie since 2007, and I'm proud of it. I distinctly remember getting her self-titled album back in the sixth grade, soon realizing that I'd truly never be the same.

I've been to three of her concerts, own every album of hers and I know all of the words to her songs. I will confess that I do belt them out in the car. Come on now -- admit that you do too.

Her music has been the soundtrack to many milestones in my life. It has helped me through tough times in middle school, navigating high school for the very first time (hint: "Fifteen") and then going on to meet new people in college, one of them being a fellow Swiftie, who soon became one of my best friends.

I know for a lot of people, Taylor Swift is a role model. She is for me as well. However, I've never put her up on a pedestal because I believe that celebrities are still HUMAN and make mistakes, but eventually learn from them.

To me, Taylor is a genuine spirit and isn't afraid to authentically live or respectfully speak her mind. I admire her giving heart and talent for writing songs that speak to the soul. The way she connects to her fans is on a personal level, and that is something that other artists should take note of.

She has been to fans' weddings, wedding showers and has went so far as to visit them in the hospital. Taylor has personally purchased Christmas gifts for Swifties and stalked their social media accounts to see what they liked. She's donated time and money to personally meet her fans. One recent story was that she actually bought dinner for a fan and her family and met them when they traveled to Nashville. After every show she hangs out with those who have been selected to meet her. Her fan connecting philosophy distinctly contrasts Justin Bieber's, who released a statement in which he says that he feels like a "zoo animal" and now refuses taking photos with fans.

Taylor's been labeled as one of the most "philanthropic" celebrities, yet she still gets so much hate.

For Taylor, every decision she makes or guy she dates has been heavily scrutinized by the media and virtually everyone alike. She's dealt with this for 10 years now and even released a satirical hit, "Blank Space," which regards her amusement with the media's obsession with her dating life.

Most recently, our girl Tay can't catch a break! Everyone is talking about her newest relationship and weighing in their thoughts. I feel that there is a total double standard in our culture regarding women in relationships. I think if Taylor Swift was a guy, she would not be getting this much press on who she was dating or where they were traveling to.

In addition, Taylor has lately been criticized for word leaking (from her rep) confirming that she co-wrote the hit song "This Is What You Came For" with her then-boyfriend, Calvin Harris. Originally their collaboration was a secret since a pseudonym was used to hide Taylor's identity. However, this cover up news couldn't stay hidden for long and the word eventually was out.

What baffles me is that there is tons of disgust about this and what she did, even though we still don't have all the details to this story, because Taylor herself hasn't commented on the matter. Which, I think, is a smart decision on her part.

Yet our society goes about ripping apart her reputation and releasing articles titled, "Is Taylor Swift Really A Mean Girl?"

I think as women, we need to take a stand on this and not give into this double standard norm. Our society needs to start celebrating the female population. As men and women, we have to get on the same page.

We don't need to go commenting snake emojis on Taylor's Instagram pictures just because word leaked that she wrote a song with her ex. You may not be the biggest Taylor Swift fan ever, or maybe you even dislike her, but on behalf of all women everywhere, that is a low action to take. The way Taylor dances, presents herself or dresses isn't up to us to weigh in on. It's up to her and her alone. After all, she is living the life she wants to, just like we all are. I think our society forgets that celebrities are people too.

We, as women, have a lot to handle. We sometimes go through difficult things like low self-esteem or poor body image. But then we turn right around and cut another down? It doesn't make any sense at all, but we have to make a change. Let's stand with other ladies, not against.

As for T. Swift, she should keep remembering her famous line...

From Your Site Articles