All You Have To Do Is Make It Right

All You Have To Do Is Make It Right

Mistakes happen, but how you handle them is more important.

12
All You Have To Do Is Make It Right

Did you make a mistake?

Do you feel bad about it?

Do people look at you differently because of it?

We're all made to believe that nobody is perfect. And it's true - no matter how much we succeed, we all still have a weak spot somewhere. Yet, when we mess up in that one little area, we tend to ponder more on that aspect. Whether it's a mistake that is made between friends, at work, or at school, the guilt of it is not fun to deal with.

We all make mistakes. It's part of what makes us human. So why should mistakes define who we are?

They should never. What is far more important is the next step you choose to take.

In most cases, you have two options: you can either choose to own up to your mistakes or you can try to act like it didn't happen. It is very clear that the path you walk will tell the whole world who you are as a human being.

Let me paint you a picture. The other night, I never received my order from Domino's. I ordered at about 11 PM and called to check in on its status after about an hour and a half. I was told it was on its way, which was fine by me as it was more than likely that the store was extremely backed up.

But at about 1 AM, I still had received my food was convinced it wasn't coming. I hadn't heard from the driver and the store was about to close.

You'd think I wouldn't order from them again. But I will be. You know why?

I went in the next day to explain the situation to the GM. As the GM, it may not have entirely been his fault, but he still had some responsibility. He couldn't have been any nicer. Not only was my credit card payment refunded, but he also gave me the exact order I wanted the previous night plus a stuffed cheesy bread and cinnastix all for free. On top of that, he gave me credit to receive my next order absolutely free.

Mistakes happen, but how you handle them is what determines the consequences. If you mess up, all it usually takes is an apology to those affected and a way to make it right. It's that simple.