All I Want For Christmas Is.... Hmmm, I Don't Know

Ever have that feeling of having no clue what you want for Christmas? That's ok, here's what I would try to do

7
jonwellman

I'm sure that we have all experienced that feeling of not knowing what we want for Christmas when someone like our grandmas, parents, friends, or even significant others ask us. For a kid that's in college like myself, the reason why you don't know could be because you might have had a very busy past couple of months finishing last minute assignments and final exams for classes and you haven't had the time to think about it, or maybe the things that you would ask someone to get you for Christmas are too expensive and you don't want them to go out spending a lot of money. However, the reason I never know what I want for Christmas when someone asks me is because that person has already done many things for me throughout my life, and the friendship or relationship I have with them is the ultimate gift I could ever ask for.

Let's take my grandmother for example. Now, I just came home for the winter break this week and she recently asked me to make a list of things that I would like for Christmas this year and get it to her as soon as possible so she could use it to decide what to buy for me. But sadly I haven't had the time to fill one out for her due to the constant amount of papers I had to type and exams I had to take to finish up my fall semester at Walsh. In addition, because I have been so busy this past month with school things to take care of, I honestly haven't given that much thought as to what I would like for Christmas or if there is anything out in the stores that I would even want as a Christmas present.

Now my grandmother has gotten me many great gifts every year for Christmas and she has meant everything to me, so for that I couldn't be more thankful and blessed to have her in my life. However, instead of asking for a new video game, Pittsburgh Steelers jersey, or a new vinyl record or CD, all I want for Christmas this year from my grandma is for her to continue being the same caring, kindhearted and loving grandma that she has always been for me. The many things she does for me such as giving me rides to places if my parents have the car out and I can't drive anywhere, cooking me Kraft Mac N' Cheese every time I come over to her house, and attending all the major events that I participate in whether it's my annual Christmas concert I sing with my college choir at Walsh or an honors night event recognizing how hard I work on my academics shows that no matter what it is, she is always there to support anything I do and I'm grateful for that. However, she will probably buy me something anyway because it's Christmas and she's my grandma so she has to spoil me sometimes.

With that being said, this Christmas if you truly can't think of anything that you would like for Christmas, that's okay. Instead, I would tell the person that wants to get you a gift, whether it's your parents, grandparents, girlfriend, or wife, that all you want for Christmas is for them to keep being the same person they have always been for you throughout your whole life or certain phases of your life. I know it may sound a little silly, but trust me they will appreciate you saying that because it shows how much you love them and the relationship that you have with them is the most perfect gift you could ask for. As it says in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store, Maybe Christmas perhaps, means a little bit more."