To All Those Feeling Stressed

To All Those Feeling Stressed

Why you should think of yourself as coal, or even an underdog.

9
To All Those Feeling Stressed

To all those feeling stressed,

It’s the season of final exams, so you know what that means: a seemingly never-ending stream of stress and lists of things to do. While it is easy to feel overwhelmed by all that consumes you during not only the week of finals, but also the weeks leading up to finals as well, it is important to remain grounded by reminding yourself that all of this stress is only temporary. These experiences – albeit unpleasant – are helping to shape you into a more mature, well-prepared adult.

Although the logic behind the belief that diamonds come from coal has often been questioned, the sentiment still rings true. Although stressful times might seem like the end of the world or simply too much to handle, it is important to use this stress as a growing and learning experience; allow the stress to transform you from a coal to a diamond. After all, as the old saying goes, it is stress that turns the dusty coal into a precious diamond.

While it might be impossible to enjoy the stress that comes from things like finals week, it is entirely possible to use the experience as a chance to grow — to sharpen your time management skills, to learn exactly how to and what to prioritize, and even to improve your multitasking skills by preparing for both your final exams and the upcoming break. Furthermore, remember to also allow yourself to take breaks because completely burning out will only leave you in a worse position going into exams; give yourself small breaks from studying to regain some energy and give your brain a rest.

Even going beyond the stress of final exams, in other times, stress it is important to remember to not be too hard on yourself. All good things take time, so try not to rush yourself when completing a project or learning a new skill; impatience only leads to sloppiness. Even if it means taking longer than expected, it is better to do something well slowly than doing something sloppily quickly.

When the source of your stress is not being able to perform as well as you wish you could – whether it is with a new skill or in a class – it is important to remember that no one excels at everything. No one is expected to be good at everything. To be good at everything would be simply impossible; after all, nobody’s perfect.

Besides, you’re not alone in your struggles, no matter what they are; you just might be surprised by the underdogs who have made an impact in life despite their struggles.

Even Albert Einstein struggled in school as a child, so if you struggle in a class or with a subject as a whole, don’t lose hope. He had such a difficulty in learning language and how to speak that many around him worried that he would never learn at all; obviously, he proved them wrong.

Another well-known underdog was Charles Schulz, the creator of Peanuts. Often described as shy and timid, Schulz struggled to make friends in school. Upon submitting some of his drawings to the school newspaper for publication, his artworks were rejected; only later was his talent recognized, despite the discouragement he faced earlier in life. A five-foot statue of Snoopy was later placed in the main office of Schulz’s high school.

The most epic of underdogs is undoubtedly Theodore Roosevelt. As a child, Roosevelt was rather sickly and greatly suffered from asthma; however, Roosevelt decided as a teenager that he was going to build himself up by taking part in gymnastics and weightlifting. As an adult, Roosevelt always found time for physical exertions, including boxing, swimming and hiking. From a sickly child to the epitome of manhood, Theodore Roosevelt was an underdog like no other.

From now on, whenever you feel stressed and overwhelmed by all that you struggle with, think of yourself as an underdog. Although life may not be so easy now, just keep working hard toward your success.