All About Anxiety

All About Anxiety

Excessive, unrealistic worry and tension, even if there is nothing to provoke the anxiety in the first place.

10
All About Anxiety

I have struggled with anxiety since early high school and did not realize how much of an impact it as on my life. I had no idea that it was even a problem for me until I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder in the beginning of my sophomore year of college. I thought that everyone felt like that. I was terrified of being late to things, scared about the little things, and worried about everything. It could better be described as "excessive, unrealistic worry and tension, even if there's little or nothing to provoke the anxiety".

Some other symptoms are trouble sleeping, cold or sweaty hands, shortness of breath, as well as dry mouth and heart palpitations.

Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States. Approximately 40 million Americans over the age of 18 are affected by anxiety, roughly 18 percent of the nation's population.

Although no one really knows what anxiety stems from, anxiety disorders may be caused by problems in the functioning of brain circuits that regulate fear and other emotions. Stress and genetics may predispose some for more serious problems with anxiety.

Two major and popular treatments include medication and cognitive behavioral therapy. Medication like antidepressants and anticonvlusants can reduce the symptoms of anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy teaches a person to recognize and change thought patterns and behaviors that lead to feelings of anxiety.

Although this is only my own experience I am speaking from, anxiety is no joke. I spent days cooped up in my room struggling with going into social situations and spent most days worried about everything from my mismatched socks to world hunger. But there are many resources. If this does not resonate with you, maybe you just learned something new.