Things Ag Majors Hate Hearing

Things Ag Majors Hate Hearing

Because, really, enough is enough.

47
Things Ag Majors Hate Hearing
Trisha Hassfurder

Don't get me wrong, I love having the opportunity to educate, but there are just some things, whether it be those pesky stereotypes or myths that I know are false, that will truly get on an agriculture major's nerves after hearing them day in and day out.

"Future Farmers of America"

Yes, I was in FFA. No, it does not stand for Future Farmers of America. The National FFA Organization updated their name to just that in 1988 to show that the organization is open to more than just farmers. FFA has evolved into an organization that teaches leadership skills through agriculture, helping members to better prepare themselves for any and every future career they will seek.

So your major is like corn or something, right?

I have heard this exact question more times than I can count on both hands. No, my major is not corn, there is no major that solely studies corn. Please, for the sanity of all students in the school of agriculture, revise your inquiry to something along the lines of 'So what exactly does your major mean?' We would all be happy to educate you a little about what exactly agriculture is.

GMOs are so bad for you.

Nothing will start a debate faster than wrongfully believing myths put out by the media. Multitudes of long-term studies have proven that GMOs(Genetically Modified Organisms) are safe for human and animal consumption. Not a single living being has even gotten sick from GMOs. Please do not promote falsities, ask for our opinion on the matter instead.

I can't believe you even have a smart Phone, you're an ag major.

The fact that I am passionate about all aspects of agriculture and aspire to share my passion with the next generation definitely has no effect on how fast I can keep up with new age technology.

Redneck/Hick

I don't care how close I live to Kentucky or if I have a southern accent on some words, I'm not a redneck. I do not want to be branded with the outrageous stereotypes coming with these labels that some people put on the agriculture industry. I know how to spell, I care about my education, and I still have all my teeth.

OMG, you're not wearing boots today.

Who cares if I have worn my boots every day for the past three weeks? They are comfortable, can handle some mud, and match every outfit I own perfectly. But sometimes I like to wear my other shoes. I know what is on my feet, it's kind of unnecessary to point it out.

So, like, are you going to be a farmer?

This one is the most common. There are thousands of agriculture-related careers in America, ranging from ag lawyer to teacher to food scientist to farmer. Agriculture related careers employ nearly 10% of all Americans, whereas farming families account for less than 2%. There is an extremely high chance that the ag major you are talking to has no desire to become a farmer, they just happened to fall in love with the industry that feeds the world.