Advice to Underclassman

Advice to Underclassman

What to know from a graduate

50
Advice to Underclassman
Aryonne Link Photography

The roads you currently travel down, I have gone through, the decisions you are faced with, I have chosen my answers and the consequences and troublesome situations you are experiencing, I have made it through. My time here at Carver Early College has molded me into the young woman I am today along with the help of my family. With the guidance of my teachers, mentors, administrators, coaches, and most importantly God. I've discovered my own path to greatness. Through the last four years I have grown, matured, and prospered in ways that are indescribable. I've realized that out here in the world you're on your own and to be successful you must build your inner self to help others. Some of us here today, including our parents, are wondering how our lives are going to turn out. It is okay to wonder but, I also think it is important to realize that our future is not just something that happens to us. It is up to us to create. So, I say to you rising seniors, juniors and sophomores. What is your strategy? What is your plan that will help you distinguish between the right path and the path that seems right? What is your legacy?

To my young gentlemen, have some class. You are not out in the roughest part of town, on the streets trying to survive; you are in a learning facility. There is no need to walk around with your pants by your knees and underwear showing, or shout in the hallways and classrooms to gain attention. Inside of you beats the heart of a man, so act like one.

To my young ladies, you are beautiful and you’re going to prosper! Stay focused and motivate yourself to do better and be better than the person you were yesterday.

Yes, it’s going to get rough but never think about how much you have left to do but think about how far you’ve came. Because if you can survive high school, you can survive anything.

To rising sophomores, although you may not where you want to be after you graduate or maybe you do. Remember that the battle has just began and you’re going to be alright.

To rising juniors "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition”, Steve jobs.

To rising seniors, I say to you “I’ve only just a minute, only sixty seconds in it. Forced upon me, can't refuse it. Didn't seek it, didn't choose it, but it's up to me to use it. I must suffer if I lose it, give an account if I abuse it, just a tiny little minute but eternity is in it “. Dr. Benjamin E. Mays

Thank you