The Advice I Wish I Could Give My High School Self

Be in the moment and cherish every day but also look forward at what's to come.

197
Caroline Cook

Being in college, I have learned so many things that it almost feels like high school was a lifetime ago. However, looking back from a new perspective I wish I could give myself advice in order to make my life so much easier.

I would tell myself that college is not at all what you thought it would be. I thought I was not smart enough to even make it through the first semester. I thought I would get too wrapped up in the social aspect. I thought that maybe I would come to devastatingly find out that I just wasn't "college material". I wish I could go back and tell myself otherwise. I have what it takes to pursue a college education and a social life as well. I am smart enough to accomplish what I want at the University I love. So stop being too hard on yourself and give yourself a little credit.

I would tell myself that the ACT and SAT does not define your academic success. Honestly, I don't even remember what I got on either of those tests. I remember stressing over the many times I didn't get the score I wanted or was hoping for. I was scared I would never get into college. But I did and it happened to be the one I wanted. Those tests do not determine the rest of your life.

I would tell myself that all of the drama you think is so important really isn't. In high school your life revolves around who said this and who's dating who... but what I've come to realize is that literally NONE of that matters now. College is a totally different atmosphere. I wish I could go back and tell myself to stop stressing over drama because now drama is pretty much out of my life. College is a place that allows you to be free, do the things you want, and be the best version of yourself.

I would tell myself to cherish the time you have with your friends. This includes your close friends who you hang out with every weekend and also the "school friends" you strictly only talk to during class. Once graduation comes around you may never see some of them again. You know this will happen one day but it never really hits you until it actually does.

I would tell myself to appreciate your parents more because once you are three and a half hours away from them, you will miss all of the things they did for you on a daily basis. They're always looking out for you and you think it's annoying but they're doing it because they love you. Don't take them for granted.

I would tell myself to appreciate my hometown more than I did. I said so many times that I was ready to go to college and ready to move on from the small town I grew up in. That town shaped who I am today. I built relationships, learned what a community really was, and had the best memories in that town while growing up. You will miss it every now and then and that's okay. Remembering where you came from will keep you humble and true to who you are.

I would tell myself that everything really does go by in the blink of an eye. Looking back it feels like from the first day of freshman year all the way up until graduation day literally did "fly by". Everyone will tell you this and you will continue to just brush it off. However, they were right. The times you think will last forever don't. So make the most of the time you do have. But don't be afraid of the future. Moving on is apart of life. Be in the moment and cherish every day but also look forward at what's to come.