5 Things I Would Tell My High School Self About College If I Got The Chance

Just some things I know now that I know my high school self would have loved to hear.

24
Personal Photo

A couple nights ago, I sat reminiscing about high school and who I was then compared to who I am now. It's no secret that you change immensely in college. You never believe it when people tell you that everything about you and your life will radically change when college comes. However, it does. Everything I know and my whole view on life is different now. I also wish that I would have just been able to tell myself things would work out and that it was OK. So, now entering my third year of college I have some wisdom I would have told my high school self.

Your grades in high school do not define you.

Now that may sound off but hear me out, no grade defines you. That D on your APUSH test is not going to matter when you are in your second or even first year of college. Grades matter and you should try but as long as you do enough to get into the college you want, that's all that matters. If you had a hard semester just pick yourself up and try harder next semester. That semester does NOT mean you are not intelligent or bad in any way. Try your hardest and do your best that's all that is expected of you.

The drama is not going to matter or fly in college.

Sassy Drama Queen GIF Giphy

Drama in high school seems a lot bigger than it is in the grand scheme of things. No one cares who wore what, or who said what about who in college. That fight you just got in with your toxic friend group will be irrelevant when you get into college. In college, your friends frankly do not have time for that and neither do you. So, keep your head up. There are THOUSANDS of better friends you can make in college. Every relationship will be so much more meaningful.

Also, a side note: you don't see people unless you really want to in college, so you won't ever face the awkwardness of dealing with people you do not like in the day-to-day like you do in high school.

Get more involved with things.

Don't be so timid. If I have learned anything in college it is to GET INVOLVED. Put yourself out there, try new things. Don't just sit at home or be involved with one club. Also, run for things. I know that you think you are not the right person or no one likes you much, or at all, but people do like you and you are the right person! Everything is so much better when you get outside your comfort zone and your head. Life is much better with friends and things you enjoy.

You can express your own opinions.

real housewives of orange county discussion GIF Giphy

I know that you are an opinionated person, but I also know that you keep things to yourself to be agreeable. You have your own opinions and feelings, and they are valid. You can express them and it's okay to think differently than the people around you.

Also, your opinions are going to change a lot as you go through college. So be ready for that and know it's OK to feel differently about things than you did in high school. It's okay to debate, just also be respectful when you tell others your opinion and hear theirs out as well.

Everything will be OK, don't worry.

kid president everything is going to be okay GIF by SoulPancake Giphy

I know you tend to worry and I still do a lot. However, it will be OK. Everything you're worried about will work out exactly how it's supposed to. Don't ever give up. Just keep going and try not to sweat the small stuff. It'll work out.