Advice For High Schoolers

Advice For High Schoolers

Sincerely, the people who survived it all

30
Advice For High Schoolers

Whether you're almost halfway through your first year, halfway through your last year or somewhere in between, listen up. I know you're at a big time in your life and if you don't think so, think again. High school is important but probably not in the ways you stress about. Everyone takes on high school different ways but I can promise you, it's exactly what you make of it. Don't believe me? I figured. So here are some results I took from a survey I put out on Facebook. Over 140 anonymous people replied & I couldn't be more thrilled to see how many people want to give their advice. The first few questions are some background information. You can see there are graduates of all ages from many different sized high schools with a lot of different opinions. Take the time to read it! You won't regret it, I promise.

Question 1: What year did you graduate high school?

Question 2: How many people did you graduate with?

Question 3: If you had to do high school all over again, what would you do?

* Option 1 reads: Do everything exactly the same

* Option 3 reads: Change absolutely everything

Question 4: What advice would you give to a current high school student on what they should do?

*With over 140 responses, the answers had to be minimized. Answers were first filtered, eliminated if they were the same/similar & then randomly selected. Remember, all answers are completely anonymous*

"Just do you. Literally, no one else is worried about what's going on in your life because they are worried about their own. So be yourself and do what you want to do"

"Be involved, you won't regret it. Enjoy the time you're there, especially with sports teams because that doesn't happen again."

"Live in the moment, not in the future. You want to look back on the adventures not the regrets."

"Do what you love to do."

"Be nice to everyone. pay attention to the people around you. Listen in class it will help you for the rest of your life. Push yourself now."

"Start researching colleges you want to go to early on. Don't just wing it when the time comes!"

"Get involved, get enough sleep, and get to know their teachers. Your teachers can help you write recommendations and network later in life."

"Stay away from the drama--it won't be worth it in 5 years"

"Everything may seem it won't work out and that you won't get to the place you want to go, but don't worry. You will get there. And things may change for the better, just have to be ready for it."

"Get ahead start on college applications. Don't wait until fall of your senior year to decide where to apply. Figure that out ahead of time so you can start applications in the summer and actually enjoy your senior year."

"love and cherish your parents. nothing defines you."

"Its not cool to pretend like don't care about anything. Don't be afraid to be passionate about something."

"Focus on academics -- no fooling. High school grades matter when it comes to the next phase of your life. Choose a couple of activities that you enjoy -- band, choir, sports, theater, math team, whatever -- and do them well, instead of spreading yourself too thin. And be nice to everyone, because that's how you will want to be remembered."

"Go away to college, don't be in a relationship the whole time, focus on the important friendships."

"Be yourself. Regardless of who you think you should be, stay true to yourself and your beliefs."

"Understand that high school only comes once in your life. Unlike college , you can not go back and try again. Do the best you can while you can. I promise you that one day you will miss it."

"Be kind. Always."

"Be yourself. High school sucks but college is so much better."

"Go somewhere completely different from your high-school for college, where you know no one! Step out of your comfort zone! The word is so much bigger than your hometown! It is the most eye-opening, humbling experience."

"Focus on the "now" you have your whole like to work and stress out over "adult" things. Enjoy your parents providing everything for you & cherish the home cooked meals you are provided with."

Question 5: If you could give any current high school student advice on what they should NOT do, what would it be?

"Do NOT base any decision on a significant other. Even if you're "so in love" (gag...) you're not, you're in high school and world is way too wide and way too wonderful for you to settle for that person."

"Do not try and please everyone because it can't be done. Do what you want, love who you want to love and the rest will fall into place."

"I would tell them not to put off homework, papers, projects, studying, etc. until the last minute."

"No drugs. They're not worth it. We lost a lot of kids in high school to drugs."

"Do not allow yourself to be pressured into behaviors (or relationships) that you won't be proud of later on. High school is just four years of your young life, yet you can find yourself making decisions you didn't even realize were decisions until much later in life. Relationships with the opposite sex (or same sex, if that's your way) will come and go, so don't bank on any of those relationships lasting beyond high school. So don't limit yourself by getting too tied down to one person. He/she will be a memory before you know it, and not worth what you may be trading off."

"Don't sweat the small stuff. Seriously"

"Do not change yourself for anyone! If they don't appreciate you the way you are, they aren't the type of people you want to be around. Even if they are popular"

"Don't be stupid, if you are going to a party make sure you have a dd or have someone who you trust come and get you. Don't get in a car with someone intoxicated."

"Do not take the easiest path to success, push yourself and your abilities"

"Don't be a fool, stay in school."

"Don't worry about "fitting in" or "being cool". Partying, drinking, and drugs isn't "cool" and also be careful with what you post online, colleges and jobs DO look at EVERYTHING (snapchat included)."

"Don't give in to anything. You have a right to say no to boys. It's your body and you don't owe them anything"

"Don't worry if you don't have you're whole life planned out yet. Be a kid as long as you can. You have your whole life ahead of you to do adult things."

"Don't miss out on parties and proms"

"[Don't] Be offended by everything"

"Don't lose your friends, don't argue with them, don't worry about what people think. None of it is worth it"

"Don't get upset over not getting into the college "of your dreams" because I promise you'll end up getting into the college that you truly belong at."

"Do not let others affect your decisions when it comes to playing sports and joining clubs. Do everything for you and no one else because in the end, it's your life and education."

"Don't be a bully. It gets you nowhere. You only hurt amazing people."

"[Don't] Judge people.. you never know what people are going through.. try to avoid clicks and be friends with as many people as possible."

"Don't waste your time tearing other people down"

Question 6: If you could go back in time and tell your high school self one thing what would it be?

"Slow down and love yourself"

"You're gonna make it"

"Appreciate your teachers more, they care about you so much. They can and will do incredible things to help you succeed."

"Always be true to your heart. What is meant to be always finds a way to be."

"Believe it or not the social status that you see now will not exist in the real world."

"Don't be afraid."

"You will achieve great things and make a difference in your part of the world"

"I would tell myself to be more open minded and to put myself out there and be more outgoing."

"Study dummy"

"High school heartbreak is nothing compared to actual love that you'll have in the future"

"Stop accepting crap if something bothers you so much do something about it rather than just wallowing in self pity also take yourself a little less seriously"

"Take those AP classes you'll be happy you don't have to take them in college"

"These really are some of the best days of your life. Stop planning the future and enjoy them."

"Always thank your parents for everything they do."

"Don't quit a sport you love playing just because you got injured the previous season. Go to therapy and get better so you can play your senior year."

"You are skinnier than you think you are. Don't starve yourself."

"Not everyone is your friend. Not everyone is going to like you. People's opinion of you says more about them than about you. Losing friends isn't necessarily a bad thing. Growing up and growing out of people that hold you down is a natural and essential part of life. You will learn who your true friends are after high school!"

"Don't be afraid to stand up for what you think is right!"

"Just because you aren't at the top of your class doesn't mean you aren't smart and capable. Don't close yourself off to knew things. You're younger than you think you are and have the whole world in front of you! Also, you don't need a significant other in order to feel whole. You're just fine all by yourself. You're strong and capable!"

"Pay more attention."

"Stop skipping class, you'll regret it you idiot."

"Be true to who you are, even as you continue to figure out who that is. Deep down, you already know the most important parts of yourself. And you are enough, just like you are. You don't need validation from a boy to prove that to yourself."

"It gets better."

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to each and every one of you who contributed to this survey, I couldn't be happier with all the results that I got. Most importantly, remember that a lot of this advice can still apply to us now, as college students, college graduates and adults. So my advice to all of you, take your own advice!