Advice For High Schoolers

Advice For High Schoolers

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by dafault." - J.K. Rowling

8
Advice For High Schoolers
Bradleigh Bullard

I remember my first day of high school. I had so many thoughts running through my head, and I had no idea what to expect. I, of course, imagined it being somewhat like the movies. The cool kids, the jocks, the outcasts, the thespians, band kids and everything in between. You think you have to find your clique, and if you don't find a clique, then you won't have any friends. You think this is going to be a long four years, thinking how you're so ready to grow up. This is not what high school is. In fact, it is totally opposite from everything you've thought.

You will realize very early on that high school isn't full of the cliques. You will be friends with people from all over the school, so don't get to caught up on the labels. The jocks will hang out with the outcast kids, and the cool kids will hang out with the band kids. It's a lot different in smaller towns because most people grow up together before they became the jocks and the band kids. They see everyone as who they really are, not what they do. These are the people that you have spent the majority of your life with.

High school is about enjoying every single second of it. You don't realize it at the time because you are just wanting to get out so badly and grow up, but let me be the first one to tell you that you need to cherish each moment because growing up sucks. You have to be more responsible and worry about money and worry about other adult things and the list goes on and on. Be sure to enjoy how easy things are in high school because it gets harder not easier. Be sure to cherish every moment with every single friend, teacher, significant other and family members. Trust me, I was beyond ready to get out of high school because I was tired of being treated like I was still a child but I was expected to act like an adult. Now I wish I could go back. I would love to go back and let my assignments be so easy with all of my friends still being here.

Cherish all of the bad moments just like you do the good moments because they are what help make you the person you are. Learning from mistakes is also a huge part of growing up. You need to get knocked down a few times before you can fully get back up and know not to do it anymore. Be sure to listen to people when they say he or she isn't worth it. They are trying to spare you yet another heartbreak. Listen to your parents when they tell you to stay away from certain kids because they will sense the bad things before you can most of the time. Start on your project or assignment as soon as you get it. There is a reason there is a month to do it. The most important advice I can give you is to take chances and don't be afraid to do so, or you will regret it one day if you don't. And be sure to live each day like it's your last. Have fun and always make good decisions. Also, one last word of advice: you find out who your real friends are near the end of high school and right after, so don't be too caught up in losing friends because you will make so many more.