10 Pieces of Advice For My Little Sister As She Starts Her Freshman Year Of College

The world doesn't have to be such a scary place after all.

738
Daniella LaPorta

You finally did it! All those high school late nights, early mornings, tough tests, long meetings, big games, and old friends have gotten you to where you are today. Although you may not realize yet, these are the experiences that will carry you through life. You have learned so much more than what you were tested on in the classroom. Over the years, you've slowly been prepared to conquer the world. This is one of the most exciting times in your whole life, but can also be one of the scariest. Leaving the comforting halls of high school may seem intimidating, but I hope these pieces of advice will help guide you in finding your way through this next chapter in your life.

Be You, Always

The most important thing I can tell you is to always stay true to yourself. While you may have heard this one hundred times before, you will soon see just how important it really is. Now is the time where you have the chance to find yourself on your own, without anyone holding you back. Don't let anyone tell you who you should or shouldn't be. There is no cookie-cutter image that you have to fit into. Stay true to who you are.

Stay True To Your Values

You may find that the values instilled in you when you were younger, ones that you may have brushed off growing up, will find their way back to the surface again. These values have shaped you in more ways than one. Now that you don't have anyone telling you what to think or how to act, remember the values that you hold at your core. It is up to you to determine which to practice moving forward. Upholding your inner values will give you the strength to conquer anything.

Keep Your Family At Your Core

As you may know, family is everything. You will understand this even more once you move away to college. No matter what is happening in the world around you, always take comfort in the fact that your family will be right by your side, no matter what. From needing advice, to needing a laugh, to needing a shoulder to lean on, don't ever doubt the power of love that your family can offer. Although right now you might be excited for your newfound independence away from your big family, don't forget they'll always be there for you with open arms.

You Can't Worry About What You Can't Control

Throughout life, you will always find something to stress about if you go searching. When starting college, there are a lot of things that can feel overwhelming and out of your control. When you are feeling this, it is important to compartmentalize. You can't take on the whole world all at once. Only focus on the things you can control.

Don't Sweat The Little Things

There are going to be a lost of twists and turns along your way. Just remember, it can't always be smooth sailing. It's okay to have a couple bumps in the road every now and then. Try to differentiate the big problems from the small problems. When you are feeling like the bumps in your road are starting to pile up, try creating a list of which ones to face first. On your list, rank each problem on a scale from 1 through 5 in order to determine if you are facing a big problem (5), or a little one (1). Then, start problem solving one at a time. Don't waste time worrying about the little things, because your attention would be put to better use facing something important. Ask yourself if these small problems are something that will matter a year from now, or if they are something you can rise above.

You Don't Have To Please Everybody

As you grow, and especially as you go through college, there are going to be a lot of people giving you advice on what they think is best for you. A lot of times, everything everyone is saying ends up contradicting each other and gets all jumbled into one. Instead of trying to make everyone around you happy, remember that you can only do what's best for you. Think of every piece of advice offered like pouring coffee grains into a filter. You can take it all in, but in the end, the advice that makes the most sense for you is the one that you can let pass through.

Take It One Step At A Time

This might be my most important piece of advice yet. College is the first time you have to learn how to live away from your parents. It can be overwhelming trying to deal with everything you are going through all at once. Between classes, school work, difficult professors, and difficult people, there may be times when you're not sure what to fix first. When this happens, just take it one day at a time. If that doesn't work, take it one hour at a time. You don't have to fix everything all at once. Focus on where you are in the moment, and only worry about that. Once that moment is over, move on to the next one. Life is not a race. It's okay to slow down and take it one step at a time.

Surround Yourself With Good People

The people who you surround yourself with are going to be an important part of your college life, so make sure you are choosing wisely. Invite those into your life who will bring out the very best in you. If you notice that those around you are making you compromise your values and lose sight of the kind of person you want to be, think about removing yourself from that social situation. Don't waste time with people who hold you back or keep you from your happiness, they are not worth it.

Say Yes To Every Opportunity That Excites You 

Although school is a lot of work, it is important to take part in all the other amazing things that make college so special. You are going to be presented with so many new and exciting opportunities that may only come around once in a lifetime. Don't let any pass you by. You only get to go to college once, so take advantage of every opportunity you can. How else are you supposed to determine what you love?

Don't Take Anything For Granted

You know that beloved quote from The Office "I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days before you actually left them"? Well, allow me to tell you -- you're in the good old days right now. Take in every moment like it's your last because it flies by faster than you can imagine. Your time in college will forever be some of the most amazing years of your entire life, so take a second to stop and take a look around. Take the long way to class. Spend an extra few minutes with your friends before you call it a night. Take one more picture. And always be thankful for where you are, because it's right where you're supposed to be.

I can't wait to see all the amazing things you accomplish in these next four years.