Advice for Everyone Who Gives Me Advice About My Kids

Could you just, like, not?

31
Huffpost

Before I begin, I would like to note that I really do appreciate all the help I have received, and continue to receive, when it comes to my children. As a young mother, there were a TON of things I did not know how to do. For example, I honestly did not know how to properly change a diaper until I had my twins. A lot of things have just come naturally to me as a mother, but I still have a ways to go.

I do appreciate advice, I really do. However, I would appreciate it more if people would wait for me to ask for it. Unless I am actually doing something in regards to raising my children that is putting them in danger, please don't nit pick. I don't know it all, but I'm learning, and when I need help, I will ask.

I don't need your input about how I am going to choose to discipline my children. Yes, I know that you were "spanked" as a child and turned out just fine, but that does not give you the right to tell me I need to spank my children. That is a very personal choice between their father and I, and all you need to know is that I am choosing not to. You don't need my reasons why.

I don't need your input about how I may be overprotective of my children, ESPECIALLY if you don't have children of your own. Yes, I may be a bit overprotective, but to be fair, there are TWO of them, at the same age, and constantly wanting to run in opposite directions. So yes, I am going to be watching them both like hawks to make sure they are safe, because that is my job. Also, they are my FIRST babies. I feel that I have to right to be super protective of my firstborns, because one, this is my first time being a mother and I am an "all or nothing" kind of person. And two, because I am momma bear, and no one messes with my babies. So please, just let me be helicopter mom. I am sure by the time I have my next kid I will be perfectly fine with letting them eat stale Cheetos off the car floor. If you don't have kids and have made a comment about this to me, I can only hope you will understand what I mean one day.

I absolutely, positively, without a doubt in my mind, DO NOT need your opinion on the position of my children's car seat in my vehicle. Yes, they are 18 months old and still rear facing. Honestly, I might keep them rear-facing until they are three. You have to understand that my kids are tiny, like, fifth percentile tiny. They were preemies. Don't get me wrong, they are perfectly healthy, but if they don't meet the requirements to be forward facing, I am not just going to turn them around because they reach a certain age. I understand that every parent is different, and I am not about to be the sancti-mommy who thinks she is better than everyone, because I am so far from perfect. So let's just agree that I will do me when it comes to my kids, and you can do you.

Once again, I appreciate all the helpful tips and tricks of the trade I have received when it comes to being a mommy. I understand, and appreciate, that this is a free country and that includes your opinion. But please, for the sanity of every mommy out there, just try to think about what you are going to say before you say it, because chances are, it is going to just go in one ear and out the other.