To High School Seniors As They Graduate

To High School Seniors As They Graduate

Ready for a rude awakening?
23

Dear High School Seniors,

As the school year draws to a close, you can't help but feel antsy and impatient. You want everything to be over right now. Trust me, we've all been there.You can't think about finals, not while you're imagining walking across that stage and receiving your diploma.

I'm sorry to say, it's all smoke and mirrors. It's time for your rude awakening.

It is true how they say you may drift apart from your high school friends and while that makes most of you extremely upset, what you don't realize is how glad you will be when it happens. You will realize how self absorbed and immature the people you went to high school with are, and they won't change during college.

At that age, everyone is changing and molding into who they are supposed to be but everyone does it at different paces. Before you know it, you won't have a single thing in common with your high school friends because either you or them are more grown up and have a different mindset than what everyone used to.

This opens so many doorways. You meet a million new people that you realize you have more in common with than what you ever did with your high school friends.

You may be excited to be a grown up and go away to college to live the type of life everyone posts on social media and the kind you see in movies, but there's a very good chance that it will not happen that way. While some get the first year college experience that everyone wants, many do not.

Many realize they hate their roommate, they hate the city they moved to, and they hate the college in general. It happens... a lot. Your first year of college could possibly be the best year of your life, but it's more likely to be the worst year of your life.

You realize how different college is compared to high school and while some may adapt to this change immediately, it may take a semester or the entire freshman year to make the adjustment.

The most important thing is to remember that once you hit rock bottom, there's no way to go but up. Graduating high school and going on to college is very, very different than what many make it out to be. You may be lucky and it turns out to be everything you wanted and more, but don't fret if it isn't because you are not alone. Life has its ups and downs and you always have to remember that.

Don't fret about your upcoming adventure following graduation. All you need to know is that you will find your way and become who you need to be, despite any challenges you may face in the next year. It may take a while, but you'll get there.

Congratulations Seniors, you did it.