To Whoever Had My Adopted Dog First, Don't Worry, He's Safe Now
Life Stages

He was covered in the back of his crate, absolutely petrified. As quiet as a mouse, as still as a baby lamb. He didn't seem interested in anything around him, and sadly enough, no one seemed interested in him.

100
Author's photo

To Whoever Had Him First,

We adopted your dog a few months ago. He was completely shaved down, "naked" if you will. He had to be shaved because his matts were so bad. He was also infested with fleas from head to toe, so I hear.

No, he didn't have the outgoing personality the other dogs had. He didn't have the curly, long hair that made all the other dogs oh-so-cute. His tail didn't wag when people walked by. He didn't jump up to lick fingers that made their way into his crate.

No, none of that was him. Nothing got him excited.

To whoever had him first,

I don't want to ask why or how. I don't want to know what happened to him at your "home." I don't want to know why part of his tongue is missing or why he's deathly afraid of newspapers (rolled and unrolled).

I don't want to know why his chest has a bone that didn't heal properly, or why it needed to heal in the first place. I don't want to know any of that.

All I want is for you to know that your sweet boy, the one who you neglected and abandoned, is so very loved now. The first night home from the shelter, he slept like he hadn't slept in ages. He has his very own big boy bed, he has four beds actually. But most nights he spends in our bed.

He has so many toys, and he gets so much love and affection at home. He gets two walks a day (three if he's lucky). He gets to run and play in a big yard. He gets weekly trips to go hike or to a dog park or even to a weekend getaway.

He has friends! Real doggy friends! His favorite games are fetch and tag. And he never goes a single night without getting his treat.

His smile is so big now, and it holds so much happiness in it (peep the picture with his grandma down below). He loves car rides, toys that look like pandas, and fuzzy blankets.

Did you know any of that? I don't think you did. Did you ever get to see him smile? I don't see how you could with all the matted, flea infested fur around his face.

He was so excited to meet his grandma and big brother, btw

To whoever had him first, don't you worry for a second. He's safe now and you will never, ever break his heart ever again.

Sincerely,

Your dog's new momma.