Culture Shock

Culture Shock

The ups and downs of returning home for the summer.

9
Culture Shock

Going away to college is incredible. It brings a slew of new experiences and takes you far beyond your hometown, into a whole new world. Because of this, it can be a bit of a culture shock to come back after a long semester for the summer. Here are some of the ups and downs of coming back home.

1. Packing your dorm room up.

Packing up your room is the worst. While you are pumped to be done with all of your finals, you now have all of your stuff to pack up and very little supplies to do so. You usually end up doing it completely last minute because you have been stalling from the start.

2. Loading up the car.

Loading the car makes you realize how out of shape you are. Most of the time you beg and plead with all of your friends to help you put your stuff in the car.

3. Saying goodbye to your school friends.

It's great to go home, but you aren't going to see your school family for three months. It can be hard to say goodbye to the friends you have spent almost 24/7 with for the last eight months.

4. Seeing your family.

It's always great to be home.

5. Reuniting with your dog.

It's a beautiful thing. They missed their human and you missed your fur ball.

6. Eating real food.

It is a magical experience when you take that first bite of actual food and not the cafeteria food with laxatives in it.

7. Sleeping in your own bed.

No more college cots but your own bed. There is nothing better.

8. Not showering with flip flops on.

It feels quite strange not having to subconsciously put on shoes before you step into a shower or reach for a shower caddy. Your feet feel strangely free.

9. Trying to unpack and organize.

It is a struggle to find a place to put away your stuff. You don't feel like you should even bother because you're going to have to pack it all up again before you know it.

10. Reuniting with friends.

While you love your school friends, you get pumped to be able to see your hometown friends again. It's been way too long and I need to catch up.

11. Going stir crazy.

With school done, you have nothing to do. It gets old real fast.

12. Having a curfew.

Going home means going back to a curfew and your parents' rules. It's a bit of an adjustment.

13. Watching all the Netflix.

You now have time to binge watch everything you didn't have time to during the school year. Enjoy!

14. Adjusting to no 18-hour days of studying.

With the school year over, there is no more constant studying, homework, essay writing, and classes. You have a newfound sense of freedom.

15. Trying to find a job/internship or adjust to a new one.

Every summer, most college students have one thing on their brain: make as much money as they can in order to save up for expenses like a car, gas, or textbooks. Either that or they are fervently looking for an internship for college credit, or to build up their resume. Yay for trying to adult!

16. Driving again.

After not driving for a while, it feels very strange but very satisfying. Let the road trips with friends begin!

17. Not having your own car.

When you don't have your own car, it can drive you crazy not being able to go anywhere. Sharing with mom or dad can stink, especially if you don't have access to public transport.

18. Having to rely on other people's schedules.

You can't go out because your little sister needs a ride to soccer practice or you have to be home because grandpa is coming for dinner. It can get old when you are trying to plan time with friends or family.

19. Friends aren't just down the hall anymore.

It was so convenient to walk down the hall to say hi to a friend but now you can't do that.

20. Your butt becomes implanted in the couch.

Your exhaustion from finals week, boredom from not being busy anymore, and laziness has made you best friends with your comfy couch.

It's an adjustment but coming back home is exciting. You've missed the comfort of your hometown and will enjoy the next three months before returning back to school.