7 Actual Self-Care Tasks That Aren't Just 'Trendy' And Will Benefit You In The Long Run

Because self-care isn't always Instagram worthy.

269
pexels.com

Self-care is a that is phrase thrown around frequently and seems to account for everything, from taking some time for yourself to ordering food on a night you don't feel like cooking. Believe it or not, taking care of yourself consists of so much more than just blowing money on bath bombs and writing in a journal — it's not all Instagram-worthy content.

Sometimes, taking care of yourself means doing the things you don't want to do because you know you need to do them. Here are some unconventional examples of self-care.

1. Seeing a therapist regularly and not just when it's convenient

Regularly seeing a therapist is going to help you see improvement faster and at a more consistent pace than if you only make it important when it’s convenient for your schedule. If therapy helps you — even in the slightest — make it a priority in your schedule.

2. Or getting an actual diagnosis from a psychiatrist

If therapy isn’t doing enough, then it might be time to seek a psychiatrist and an actual diagnosis. Get the medication and actual treatment you need to manage your mental illness, because it’s an important part of taking care of yourself.

3. Making a schedule and sticking to it

If time management is something you struggle with, make a manageable schedule for your workload and stick with it — even on your bad days. Part of self-care is doing the things that you don’t want to do because you know that it will help you.

4. Staying in instead of going out

As fun as it is to go out on the weekends, sometimes you need to stay in. Whether it’s to catch up or get ahead on your homework or go to bed early if you’ve been short on sleep, staying in can be one of the most important self-care tasks you can do for yourself. There’ll be another frat party next weekend.

5. Making a budget

If money management is an issue for you, it’s time to sit down and make a budget for yourself. Estimate how much monthly income you’ll have, and budget your money accordingly. Plan for the things that are absolutely necessary to pay for, and determine where you have room for extra activities and splurges from there.

6. Clearing your social media of all negativity

Your ex? Unfollow. Someone from high school you couldn’t stand? Unfollow. That girl who has the most Insta-worthy photos, but makes you feel bad about yourself every time you see them? Unfollow. Clear your social media of anyone and everyone who fills your feed with posts that make you angry, sad or just overall unhappy.

7. Going to the gym, even when you don't want to

Getting in shape (or at least going to the gym) is beneficial for so many reasons. Besides the fact that going to the gym can be a step toward building your confidence, regularly exercising can help your weight, happiness, and overall health. Even if you’ve had a long day, just go to the gym — you’ll feel so much better afterward.