Abuse Is Not Only Physical

Abuse Is Not Only Physical

“... you don't have to wait for someone to treat you bad repeatedly. All it takes is once, and if they get away with it that once, if they know they can treat you like that, then it sets the pattern for the future.” - Jane Green

679
Abuse Is Not Only Physical
Go Smart Life

Abuse has been a huge problem in many relationships across the world. When you hear the word abuse, most people think of physical violence. While this is a form of abuse, abuse is so much more than just physical. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines abuse as a corrupt practice or custom. This means that abuse can be physical, emotional, verbal, or sexual. No form of abuse is any more or less important than another because they’re all a big deal and they all harm people. They all dehumanize you and leave you feeling some kind of pain. These forms of abuse can be characterized by many different acts and I want to share a few.

Physical Abuse

Physical abuse is any contact made with your body that is intentional and unwanted. Physical abuse does not always leave bruises or even cause pain, but that does not mean it is not still physical abuse or that it is not still unhealthy. Physical abuse can be anything such as throwing something at you, hitting, pushing or pulling you around, using weapons, and grabbing you in any violent or forceful way. There are many ways you can go about handling physical abuse. If you have a relationship with someone who physically harms you, you should always have a safety plan and talk to someone about it. Consider getting a restraining order. Never make excuses for anyone’s abusive behavior towards you and always remember that physical abuse is not your fault.

Emotional and Verbal Abuse

Emotional abuse and verbal abuse go hand in hand. Emotional abuse contains non-physical behaviors. This can be calling you names and putting you down, yelling and screaming, blaming you for their abusive behaviors, stalking, threats, or making you feel guilty for not consenting to their wishes or commands. Emotional and verbal abuse does not cause direct physical harm, but can lead to things such as self-harm. When you emotionally and verbally abuse people, you dehumanize people and they will often start believing the things you say to or about them. Because of this, people will blame themselves for the emotional or verbal abuse that they are receiving. Again, remember that this is never your own fault. People who emotionally and verbally abuse people more than likely have a power or control issue. Talk to someone and seek help if you are being emotionally abused.

Sexual Abuse

Sexual abuse is any action that pressures or coerces someone to participate in sexual activity that is unwanted. Some examples are unwanted kissing or touching, rape or attempted rape, refusing someone the access of any form of birth control, sexual contact without direct consent, sexual insults, or even just pressuring someone to participate in sexual activity of any form. If you have been sexually abused, the first thing you should do is make sure that you get to a safe place away from whoever assaulted you. Contact someone you trust or report the incident to the police. If it is serious enough, go to a health clinic or emergency room. It is so important to get help and report these cases to further prevent people from inflicting sexual abuse on yourself as well as others in the future.

If you are in a relationship where you are experiencing any of these things, it is a toxic relationship and you need to get out. Each type of abusive is different, but they are all equally as difficult to experience. All forms are serious and no one ever deserves to experience them. If you are experiencing any kind of abuse and are unsure of what to do about it, reach out to someone for help. There are so many resources that you can use to your advantage to receive the help needed.

Crisis Text Line: Text “GO” to 741741

The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233