What They Don't Tell You About Your 20s

What They Don't Tell You About Your 20s

It's miserable, but mostly magical.

116
What They Don't Tell You About Your 20s
Tumblr

Can I just be real for a minute? I'm not going to bring you words of wisdom with this article, nor am I going to advise you on which wing you should side with; the bird is broken. In this article, I'm going to be straight up honest with you. These are things they don't tell you about your 20s.

1. You can manipulate magic from the simplest of moments.

I was inspired to write this article after a day of canyon climbing and fort building with my best friends in the world. There were no adults to tell us, "You can't climb to the top of that rock! You'll fall and break a leg!" No one thought it silly to call two blankets and a sectional couch a castle. When you're in your 20s, you are literally free to roam and do as you please.

2. Making time to play is the best way to keep your optimism.

Many adults aged 30+ forget what it's like to play like a child. They get so caught up in work, family life, and day-to-day stresses that they forget how to make the most of every situation. They refuse to accept the fact that a simple act, cooking dinner, can be made a game. People are so heavily weighted by the burdens of surviving, they forget to live with all their might.

3 Being a broke college kid can be the wealthiest time of your life.

College kids aren't "broke" simply because of tuition. Some of us do have to work our tails off to pay those bills, but why else do you think we spend four years on a $5 monthly account balance? Lost money is spent — not wasted — on experiences. While we have our freedom, we're allowed to travel too much. We can go to that movie this weekend and that music festival next month, because our spirits are heightened by the idea of exploration.

4. It truly is a wonderful time to be alive.

Every day, we are caught in the mix of politics, societal and economic struggles, and the pressure to perform civil service as baby-adults. We've copped our own coping strategy known as #adulting. Whether that means posting pictures of our latest home cooked meal or sharing the progress our Fitbit tells us we've made in our active lifestyles, we're standing on the precipice of our newest adventure and welcoming it with open arms.

5. It is OK to love who you love.

You might be gambling your future on a "what if" boyfriend or girlfriend. Your parents might hate the fact that you're dating an atheist while you were raised in the Church of God. There is no reason you shouldn't put yourself two steps outside your comfort zone. This is how we learn. Is there potential to break your own heart? Of course, but if it's a risk you're willing to take, nobody has a right to judge you for attempting to learn.

6. Your relationships matter so much more than your career.

Remember being taught in school that your primary focus was good grades and not your friendships? They tell you that to prepare you for a rewarding career. Somewhere along the way, you lose the idea that maybe, just maybe, your friendships matter so much more. They carry you through hard times and remind you who you are. Your career can be changed, taken or revoked in a matter of seconds, but your relationships are your identity. Hold them close.

7. The happiest person sets no expectations and makes no assumptions.

If you assume that person only liked your Instagram post to show they're "watching you," you're probably overthinking and hurting your self-confidence. In the words of Shailene Woodley, "It's none of your business what other people think of you." If you set expectations for how a person should behave or treat you, you're wrong and assuming they are capable of acting as you would. Also none of your business. In my experience, the people who are most concerned with their own behavior are the happiest ones. At least, that's my goal for my future self.

Aren't you just thrilled to death to be alive? Hold onto that for as long as you can, and maybe one day you'll be the exception to "They," when an ignorant young thing like me decides to criticize the lessons of adults. Steve Jobs said it best in his 2005 Stanford commencement speech. "Stay hungry, stay foolish."