A Very Vegetarian Thanksgiving

A Very Vegetarian Thanksgiving

This year, I'm grateful for all the plant based options on the dinner table!

8
A Very Vegetarian Thanksgiving

It wasn't until I became vegetarian that I realized how hard the Holiday season becomes. For some reason, as soon as you stop eating meat people seem to think there is nothing in the world you can eat? I think it may even be harder for me, coming from a Caribbean family, since meat is such a huge part of a culture. Out of all the things I've learned becoming vegetarian, learning how to cook is definitely my number one! Here are some fairly easy vegetarian meals you can make this Thanksgiving!

Beyond Sausage Stuffing

The invention of Beyond Sausage has changed my life! My family always made stuffing with sausage, or turkey. Not that I mind, but since I became vegetarian stuffing has never been the same. This year, I decided to try something new and add spicy italian beyond sausage to my stuffing. Yesss!!! It was so good. I bought the Stove Top seasoned stuffing, and made it following the directions on the box. While that was cooking, I put my sausage in the air fryer, which gives it a little extra crisp. Then, I mixed it all together and stuck it in the oven to get a nice crispiness to it! DELICIOUS

Mac and Cheese

Another staple of Thanksgiving! Again, this is usually something that my family adds bacon or turkey into, but it is pretty easy to make it without. However, this year I decided to take my hand at vegan mac and cheese. Thankfully, there are so many vegan milk options and cheeses that it wasn't that hard to find replacement. I like to use almond milk in my mac and cheese, but I heard that coconut milk can give it a creamier taste. As well, I used my favorite brand of vegan cheese, Daiya! This is the vegan cheese that I find melts the most like dairy cheese, and makes for a delicious Mac and Cheese

Blooming Onion

This was my first attempt at a blooming onion, and it was definitely a struggle! It took about two onions for me to get it correct, but it looked so beautiful! Also, this is another appetizer than can be easily veganized by just using vegan egg substitutes, like flax seeds, and milk alternatives. For this, I would use coconut milk because it gives the batter a sweetness that matches very well with the sweetness of the onion

Pull Apart Bread

This was probably the best thing I cooked on Thanksgiving, and the easiest! All I did was buy a loaf of sourdough bread from Walmart. Then, cut vertical and horizontal lines into the loaf, but be sure to not penetrate to the bottom of the loaf. Finally, stuff that loaf full of cheesy, pesto goodness! Place it in the oven for 15-20 minutes, and enjoy to gooey cheesy goodness!

Mashed Potatoes

Saved the best for last...mashed potatoes! There are so many different ways to make mashed potatoes, and I know everyone won't like the way I make it...But I usually like my mashed potatoes to have a little bit of chunks to it. Not so much that I have to chew, but enough to know it was made with some real potatoes! I usually use 5-6 potatoes, boil them with the skin on, and then take the skin off once they're cooked because it is so much easier. Then, I mashed them all up with some seasoning and sour cream till it's the consistency I like. Wa-La you have yourself some delicious mashed potatoes. If you're feeling extra cheesy this season, you can add some Daiya cheese in while it's hot and it'll melt perfectly!