9 Stress Relievers

9 Stress Relievers

College Edition

53
9 Stress Relievers

Being a third year college student, I've had my fair share of stress with classes, work, home-life, friends, relationships, etc. Granted, when I came to college, I was separated from my main source of stress (i.e. family). (And yes, they read my articles, but since they know it's true, they'll probably be smirking or laughing at the fact that they were called out *haha*). Although, calling them out isn't really fair in some cases. When you leave for college, you're just transitioning to a different kind of stress. You're moving from high-school-drama-and-"my-mom-gets-on-my-nerves" stress, to oh-my-god-I-have-10-deadlines-due-on-the-same-day-but-I-have-to-work-until-closing-so-I-have-to-pull-an-all-nighter stress.

Oddly enough, when college stress gets to us to a certain point, we all call the person/people that used to be the cause of at least half of your prepubescent stress. You think I'm lying? Go to your call log and try to tell me that your mom isn't on your "most frequently called" list. I dare you.

SO. To minimize your college stress, here are 9 stress relievers that have helped me this far in my college career. Hopefully, if you're not doing these already, you'll attempt them and see how much they actually help!

1. TIME MANAGEMENT

This is a huge factor. At the beginning of the day, it's best to have a plan for how you're going to conquer your tasks for the day. Get a calendar or a planner so you can physically see your schedule in front of you. DO NOT procrastinate assignments, especially the big ones. Work on the assignments gradually from the day it's assigned to the day it's due. Figuring out your day-to-day schedule will help you figure out when you can squeeze in a little bit of work that could make a difference with your stress level.

2. GET ENOUGH SLEEP

7-9 hours of sleep is a decent amount to ensure that you won't be sluggish throughout the next day. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with 6-8 hours, but it depends on what you're used to. One of my friends told me his method of getting enough sleep and it only follows one rule: be in bed by midnight. Time management comes into play with this one because you want to ensure that you get the majority, if not all, of your homework done before you get in bed so you don't have to worry about it. Not getting things done can affect your sleep schedule because you'll be focusing on what you haven't done instead of the sleep that you need.

When you get in bed, no Netflix, Hulu, or whatever you stream off of because the next thing you know, it'll be the next morning and you'll be in the second season of Breaking Bad (guilty as charged). Scrolling through social media is acceptable because eventually you'll get tired of what your former "friends" babies look like (ha). After which, you play Candy Crush Saga until you run out of lives (also guilty as charged). If and when 1am comes around, that's your cut-off point. Put down your phone, bury yourself in your blankets and disappear for 6-7 hours. JUST DON'T BE LATE TO CLASS.

3. BALANCE YOUR SCHOOL AND SOCIAL LIFE

I get it, you want to hang out with your friends and binge-watch Netflix while you guys share a tub of ice cream and a bowl of popcorn. But you can't and shouldn't do this if you know you have a gigantic work-load sitting in your backpack being neglected. Prioritize the important things. Besides, if ya'll are hanging out in one of ya'll's dorms, I guarantee you that you're not the only one that has homework. You and your friends need to be good examples for each other and not encourage each other to do the wrong things.

4. DIVIDE AND CONQUER

I have found that when I started going cross-eyed working on one subject, that I need to do something else. If you're tired of working on the same thing, divide up your work, divide your subjects. Jump around with your assignments. This way, you don't go overboard with one subject and just want to stop being productive altogether. True, you're not necessarily taking a break like you want, but you're resting a part of your brain while being productive with another part. I have found that it's easy for me to break up my subjects so the work load from each class seems smaller; as a result, I don't stress out as much---even though there's the stress of needing to finish it by precisely 11:59pm.

5. REWARD YOURSELF

While you're dividing and conquering, you can still take actual breaks. No one expects you to keep working non-stop while only taking bathroom breaks. Just find ways to reward yourself. Take breaks after finishing one or two of your assignments (depending on their length). Watch an episode from whatever TV show you're watching (preferably half hour episodes), take a phone break (social media, games, etc), go get a snack or something. Just give your brain (and hands) a break from working completely. This personally helps me a lot. It's a relaxing and chill way to boost yourself up for the next part of your to-do list.

6. ESCAPE FROM REALITY

There are other stresses aside from school that include work, family, relationships, etc. Sometimes you just want to run away or get away from it all, even for a short amount of time. I have three simple solutions that can help you get lost in another world. For my book worms, pick a book and go. I'm sure you already have one in mind. For my gamers, I'm sure you already have your game of choice, so go for it. Kick some ass in that battle, beat that Boss, and do what you gotta do. For my music enthusiasts, grab your headphones and start day dreaming.

No matter which person you are or what you choose, these are the best ways to leave reality, even for a little while.

7. GET PHYSICAL 

I have found that when I'm stressed, really about anything, some type of physical activity has always helped me. Whether it's playing volleyball out on the sand, working out, or just going out dancing on the weekends (if you have everything done and you have the extra funds to do so). It really gets everything out of your system because all your focus is going toward something else; making sure the volleyball doesn't hit your face, concentrating on your breathing and reps, or dancing with strangers. You're in your own world, not thinking about the stress from before or the stress that'll come after; it's your own form of serenity. I have to say, going out and dancing is my favorite out of all those. Line dancing is fun, and the people watching that goes along with it isn't too bad either. You watch people making fools of themselves and laugh because you wonder if you look like that too. But that's the point right? Dance like no one's watching.

Or sex. Sex would work too.

Just make sure it doesn't mess with your time management ;)

8. FREE YOUR MIND

If none of this other stuff works for you, then maybe meditation is the way to go. Peace and quiet relaxation. People meditate in their own ways and that's perfectly fine. My ways may be a little unorthodox because it might not technically be considered "meditating", but it works for me and that's all that matters. If stress got the best of me, I did one of two things: #1, lay down outside and find shapes in the sky. It would be like a game with myself to see how many I can find. Seeing how I have a very active imagination, that was never really a problem. #2, if there weren't any clouds, I would wait until evening time and drive to the closest lake to my house. I'd sit on the trunk of my car concentrating on nothing but the colors of the sky and the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks. My phone would be off, so I was truly all by my lonesome and it was the best feeling in the world.

9. STRESS SPONGE

I don't know about you, but I need someone I can vent to. I'm sure 99% of you agree with me. The only reason I'm not saying 100% is because there's always that 1% that claims that they're independent and no one needs to know their business; I personally call bullshit on that, but what're you gonna do right?

I have people that I vent to, all about different things; some things mesh between them, but they all have their little category of gossip that each can handle. (They'll obviously know who I'm talking about because they'll be like "Yay, she indirectly mentioned me in her article and I'm sarcastically flattered!" ha) Two of these people will also understand the reference I'm about to make.

When you're stressed, it's best to vent to someone and get everything out on the table. It's best to do this with someone that you're comfortable with. I don't know about you, but I like to know that there's good place for me to *PFFT* "UNPACK MY SHIIIITTT" (Iliza Shlesinger reference--watch her on Netflix). ---I really hope these two people are laughing, hysterically or not. Bet. ---

But for real, vent if you need to. It's great.

------------------------------------------------

Alright, I hope you guys try these out if you aren't doing them already. They work for me, so I hope they work for you. Half of them go hand-in-hand with time management, so hopefully y'all at least get a handle on that one. Just remember to keep your priorities straight, because right now in our lives, school comes before everything else. Sleep is a close second, but school still wins...you can sleep when you're dead.

Happy De-stressing!! (Especially with finals season coming up!)